Help With Rear Suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MARKSMAN
My Cars:

Help With Rear Suspension

Post by MARKSMAN »

Hi.
looking for a little help with rear suspension
had new suspension spheres fitted all round just fitted new accumilator sphere replaced plastic clip which was broken on rear hight adjuster but rear suspension is still at max height and wont come down and is solid any help would be much appreciated
the car is a 1995 xantia 18i 16v
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Seems you have a stuck Height Corrector (HC) - not unlikely on a '95.
The HC can be disassembled & overhauled (cleaned) - which cures the problem in 95% of all cases.
NOTE : If you by any chance re-arranged the linkage from the sway bar to the HC - then you have introduced an offset in the height setting - which MAY be your problem.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Sounds like the linkage that the plastic clip connects to has stuck hence breaking the clip. Grab hold of the levers / linkages around the height corrector and give them a good working backwards and forwards to free them up, then oil them.
If they are already all free and working properly, either your height lever (the one inside the car) and it's linkages are out of adjustment (keeping the car in the raised position) or the linkage on the anti roll bar has been "adjusted" when it broke the clip.
Diagsys
My Cars:

Post by Diagsys »

unless you happen to have a totally freak problem - unlikely.
Then this is certainly a case of the height corrector spring being seized - happens all too often.
put the car in normal height and take a can of wd40 and a bi f***ing screwdriver. soak the big spring above the plastic clip with wd40 and then using the screwdriver work the spring on the end of the rod that links back to the cabin height selector back and forth until it will spring back the length of it's travel of it's own accord.
Once you succeed cover the springs with black grease, work on the principal that if you can't see the springs anymore then neither can the dirt or water!
If then link to the anti-roll bar has been altered then you will need to go to a citroen garage to get them to reset your heights. BUT this would NOT stop the car from going up and down.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Diagsys</i>

If then link to the anti-roll bar has been altered then you will need to go to a citroen garage to get them to reset your heights. BUT this would NOT stop the car from going up and down.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
If the linkage seized solidly and moved the clamp on the anti-roll bar, conceivably the car could always be trying to reach a height that was higher than it could, therefore solid suspension. I've not seen it happen to that extent but I have seen the clamp moved when things seize solid.
sandancer

Post by sandancer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I've not seen it happen to that extent but I have seen the clamp moved when things seize solid.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Earlier this year I had the bar on the clamp snap off, caused by the linkage seizing solid. As the car moved up and down, it was the bar that twisted back and forth, eventually weakening it until it snapped. There's the possibility the bar itself may have bent, giving the incorrect height.