Front brake hose union problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davewithington
My Cars:

Front brake hose union problem

Post by davewithington »

OK gents, your thoughts.

I had an advisory on the MOT re. lightly cracked front brake hoses. I had a new pair in my stock, so I set out to change them this weekend.

The right hand hose was no problem. Union came undone no problem, old hose unscrewed and new one fitted in a half hour. But the right hand hose......

No way would the (insert preferred word here) thing come undone, To complicate matters, the hexagon has rusted, and was nowhere near the correct shape and size when I started. Funnily enough the same happened on my last Xantia, again on the right hand hose, but that came undone eventually.

So. Has anyone seen a flare tool that will work in situ? I thought of cutting off the offending part, and making a new flare with a new union which I have. Any other suggestions?
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Re: Front brake hose union problem

Post by Stewart(oily) »

I have never seen one but I recall plieades sell an inline compression fitting that might do the job.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
davewithington
My Cars:

Post by davewithington »

That would do. I can trim the pipe back to suit
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

But note that the front brake pipe on the Xantia is an odd size (even by Citroen stds!) - 4.75mm or something. If there is just light surface cracking on the flexi I would just leave it - I got an advisory about 3 years ago on this - and none since :roll:
Richard W
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

4.76mm is 3/16" - commonly serviced in the aftermarket.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

RichardW wrote:But note that the front brake pipe on the Xantia is an odd size (even by Citroen stds!) - 4.75mm or something. If there is just light surface cracking on the flexi I would just leave it - I got an advisory about 3 years ago on this - and none since :roll:
I concur. :wink:

I got the same advisory last year - I looked closely at the hoses and couldn't see any cracking, leaving me wondering what the fuss was about. It flew through this year without any advisories despite not touching the hoses!

I think sometimes the tester gets bored with a car that passes and nit picks things that aren't actually faulty to give the appearance of having done something! :twisted:

A lot of advisories are very much a matter of opinion on the part of the tester, and if it passed I wouldn't worry about most advisories, especially if you can't verify what they're complaining about!
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re:

Post by RichardW »

addo wrote:4.76mm is 3/16" - commonly serviced in the aftermarket.
:oops: I hadn't connected that... but is it a std brake flare, or a Citroen flare?
Richard W
davewithington
My Cars:

Post by davewithington »

The flare is whatever is on the pipe from the factory, which I assume is a Citroen flare.

If I'm using two lengths of pipe and a compression fixing, I'll use a spare length from my other car with the end already formed.

Ref the hose itself. The cracking is evident when you flex the hose, and as this car may well be the last car I own - I do tend to keep cars for ever, and retirement looms - I want it done. There's no rush, but I do like things proper.

Just going back to pipe sizes, 3/16" is standard British isn't it. I've got a roll of that, so could use my mate's Citroen flaring tool to make an end if necessary
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

From memory it's a standard Euro style bubble flare - which can be mimicked with a double flaring tool.
davewithington
My Cars:

Post by davewithington »

I'll check that. I've got a set of metric and Imperial dies for my old Sykes flaring tool, but I don't think that's usable under the car.