depolution puzzle

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

zipdip

depolution puzzle

Post by zipdip »

Hi
Well I decided to take my 2009 1.8 vtr+ C5 back to it's homeland,how was I to know it hated the place :( heading down to the Vendee,in a raging storm yesterday,everything ok until I got about 130k from our destination,I got the dreaded Depolution sign on the dashboard and the engine symbol,thankfully the car still went with just a little drop in power,there is something weird going on with this car,first it is very unlikely that the cat or whatever is shot,because I run on LPG which is clean,also this happened about 5 months ago when I started the car at home and the symbol came on and went after a couple of days and about 5 starts,this time at 110k it had me worried that it meant business this time,but as I continued I felt that the car was running ok,so we arrived at the place we are staying at and she who must be obeyed tried out her french =D> but luck was with us the people spoke english,I had switched off the car to give it a rest,after a short while she open the passenger door to ask me something,well one of had to get wet it might as well be her :P and the depolution signal came up on the dash without the car ignition on :?: anyway this morning I started the car and the engine symbol has gone and the car is running ok,has anybody got any ideas what is happening,would a lexia be able to tell what is going on any help or suggestions you can give me would be great.

Best Regards
2009 C5 1.8 vtr+
micky707
My Cars:

Re: depolution puzzle

Post by micky707 »

I thought the depollution was linked to the DPF on the HDI's only.
Micky

Citroen C5 2.0 HDI VTR 138 48k
Citroen Xsara 1.6SX Brilliant car, 9 years and 119000 Miles
2 Pug 306's
Peugeot 207 1.4 Sport
Citroen ZX 1.9D

If it aint broke.......
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Depollution is just generic warning for engine management fault. It will have recorded a fault, so a Lexia session will tell you what it was upset about - but that may not be the fault! If it runs OK, probably OK till you get it back to the UK and can get it on a Lexia.
Richard W
zipdip

Post by zipdip »

Thanks for the replies ,I have breakdown cover in France but I will try to get it home,are there any members who have a Lexia able to fault read my car I live in Dovercourt Essex,I have the car serviced at a Citroen main dealer but you know what they are like when it comes to a unknown problem,failing that I might just buy a Lexia,but as I am not that good with computers ,as anybody can see I had not mastered the french internet when I posted and got 3 postings just trying to exit site.

Best Regards.
2009 C5 1.8 vtr+
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

zipdip wrote:as anybody can see I had not mastered the french internet when I posted and got 3 postings just trying to exit site.
May not have been your fault, there have been quite a few of those multiple threadstarts lately.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

micky707 wrote:I thought the depollution was linked to the DPF on the HDI's only.
Anything that will affect the emissions coming out of the tail pipe will bring the anti pollution light on which is pretty much anything that brings the engine management light on as well. As Richard W says just treat it as the engine management light.
This applies to both petrol & diesel cars and also diesels with and without a DPF/FAP.
zipdip

Post by zipdip »

This problem has come back,with the depolution symbol on the dash when you start the car,when it comes of choke i.e when the revs drop from 1200 to 800 the engine sounds rough but it is drivable and this goes after a few miles but of course the engine symbol stays on the dash this afternoon as it has stopped raining I opened the bonnet and pushed connections none of which I am sure what they do and tried again and the engine symbol was still there so I switched it off and I went to the fuel filler and pressed the little button that I suppose tells the car that the fuel flap is closed and the engine symbol vanished,not sure if it is a cure but with a MOT coming up nice not to have a light on the dash,I need to have the LPG serviced and I will ask them to search the fault codes as I do not have a either a Lexia or what I need as it is a 2009 that new box of tricks.
2009 C5 1.8 vtr+
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

On a petrol engine I would be quite wary of doing a high mileage with an engine fault light on AND rough running / lack of power.

Rough running is quite likely a misfire and if its an ignition/spark related misfire there's a good chance that you will destroy the cat within a fairly short time.

Modern engines have misfire detection abilities in the ECU so get it put on a Lexia ASAP.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
triumphtoledo

Post by triumphtoledo »

While it may be useless doing through all of the possibilities without a Lexia readout, I am aware that valve seat recession is hitting many newer cars that are being run on LPG. I have been told by several engine reconditioners that the problem is down to softer metal being used for the valve inserts, for some reason unknown.

The burning of the exhaust valve seat will cause a loss of compression and funny readings being taken by the 02 sensor.

Not saying this is your fault but is something worth bearing in mind.

Just a 2p's worth.

R
h2ocooler
My Cars:

Post by h2ocooler »

I had a similar thing on my old C5 2.2Hdi, raging storm in France, roads under about an inch and a half of water and the car goes into panic mode, de-pollution, abs, TC all sorts came up, got back to Calais and still on, on the ferry and still on, re start and get off the ferry at Dover and it was still on but it went off going up Jubilee way, I think water got into the air filter and either blocked it or made the MAF wet, might be worth a look.
2005 Renault Laguna II Sports Tourer Initiale 2.0 Turbo Auto Estate
2003 Citroen C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive Captains Chair
2007 Renault Megane 1.6VVT Cabriolet Coupe Dynamique
02 C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive Auto Estate (my Dads) DE_FAPPED
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Do any of the Citroen petrol engines use a MAF sensor though ? I thought they were all MAP.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive