Diesel

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

Paul,
Diesel and Veg Oil don't actuall mix in the tank, I find the veg oil is the last thing to burn - indicating it floats on diesel. Redex doesn't help mix the two, but I agree with you, it's quieter, and it's much nicer when you have to work near the exhaust with the engine running ( don't ask ! )
I have experienced a 2 - 3 mpg improvement when I added 6 litres of vegoil to an almost full tank ( and that's taking into account the extra litres when calculating ).
Unfortunately, Plod is getting wise to this, and my regular haunt ( Nottingham ) has 'sniffer vans', so I don't bother with the large ( >1l ) veg oil doses. But I find it useful because when I smell vegoil from the exhaust, I know I've got 10 miles left before I'm stranded !
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

What veg oil do you use ? Sunflower or something else, and do you use new veg oil or can you use stuff that has been used to cook chips ?
I've heard about this but never tried it. I'd love to give it a go just to experience it.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

I use Tesco standard vegi oil, £1.37 for 3l bottle.
It is legal to use vegi oil in your car as long as you remember to tell the customs and excise, which, of course, is something we wont think twice about doing.[}:)]
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The rate of tax on veg oil is about 20p/litre less than that on ulsd
--
James
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

going back to the supermarket thing, I used to use sainsbury's city diesel and always found my BX19D ran smoother and was slightly more economical, I now use a mixture of Morrisons and Total(from the HGV pump, it fills loads quicker as it does not foam as much!). I don't know if the HGV stuff is different, seems to go OK, economy slightlty less I would say
Pete
________
How To Make A Vaporizer
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:43, edited 1 time in total.