Xantia clutch cable clip

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Fox
My Cars:

Xantia clutch cable clip

Post by Fox »

Well, I guess my clutch cable clip has gone again. Went to change into first, *poink* and the pedal dropped to the floor. Half the clip was lying on the floor mat [:)].
So, wondering about DIY replacement. ISTR some people saying these job is an absolute nightmare. Can anyone please remind me as to the reason why - when it was done last time (13k ago), the guy who did it put the bolt back on afterwards the correct way instead of the backwards way it was on originally. Does this make it easier?
Taking into consideration the new bolt position, what sort of a job/time is this likely to be?
Ta :)
Oh, £5 for the clip! Terrible [:(]
Jon

Post by Jon »

Have a look at this old topic:
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... lip,xantia
The do a search on "xantia clutch clip", we've been there a few times. Not that it makes the job any easier of course!
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Fox
First time I did it it took me 2 1/2 hours and that included cutting the head off the bolt (and welding it back on again). With the bolt now in the right way round you should manage it in under two hours.
Best of Luck
Rory
Diagsys
My Cars:

Post by Diagsys »

I remember the first one of these i did. I HATED that car!
if the bolt has been put back the sane way then you can do this job in under 15 mins. I've done it.
If you have problems then just remember that you can twist the pedal to get an angle to make the bolt slide out easier. Also stick the suspension in low. i know it sounds daft but it makes it a lot easier on your back and consequently you can see what your doing better, a torch that can strap to your head is a good idea too.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rory_perrett</i>

Fox
First time I did it it took me 2 1/2 hours and that included cutting the head off the bolt (and welding it back on again). With the bolt now in the right way round you should manage it in under two hours.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Thats the way I did it too. Remove footwell trim panels, junior hacksaw the bolt head off, weld it back on again, fit the clip and put the bolt back in the other way around.
Hacksawing the bolt head off will save having to remove the dash...
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I could be way off the mark here as I don't know the Xantia system, but a few years ago I had a problem with the acellerator and then clutch cable on a CX and found the longest route was the quickest; I took the entire pedal box off, fitted what I needed and then bolted the entire enchalada back in holus bolus...is this feasible in the Xantia seeing as such a deal seems to be made about this bolt that has the head cut off due to the inaccessibilty of it.
Alan S
Oystercatcher
My Cars:

Post by Oystercatcher »

As a follow-up to Dave's last comment in the link Jon posted, that's exactly how I did it. With the plunger out, the pedal drops to the carpet and there is room to get the bolt out. I even put it back the same way [:)] Total time, about 30 mins.
Top tip for re-engaging the cable and clip: Get a pair of 8" or 10" artery forceps (as sold in fishing tackle shops for getting hooks out of a Pike's mouth) They're great for holding the inner whilst you lift the pedal to engage the clip 'cos they 'lock on'.
Alan
'98 Xantia TD SX
algieuk

Post by algieuk »

An easier way to engage the cable is to unhook the cable at the gearbox end, pull the cable through and push it into the clip then hook the cable back on at the gearbox. The books say it can't be done, but it can, easily.