xantia td cambelt change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

terry100
My Cars:

xantia td cambelt change

Post by terry100 »

hi can anyone tell me what the recommended mileage is for the cambelt to be changed and is there anything else to be changed ive just bought the car its done 120,000 but no history about the belt change
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

Officially its 72k, but its wise to change it before this as the car gets older.
At 120k you'd be well advised to check the tensioners and waterpump thoroughly as well,
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Before doing the smoke test for their MOT's, the tester always asks me if the belts have been changed in the last three years. Since I change them at 35000 miles, I can usually say yes. As Blueboy says, check the tensioners and water pump. For good measure, I throw in an auxilary belt as well.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

I believe that Citroen recommend changing it at 72,000 miles or 5 years.
However, I would change mine at half of that mileage because if it breaks you can kiss goodbye to your engine. Likewise, the belt tensioner and water pump (which runs off the cam belt) will also have the same effect if they fail.
If you do not have any record of the belt, tensioner or water pump being changed then I would get it done immediately.
Another thing to consider is the LHM fluid in the large black tank on the nearside of the engine bay. The fluid should be a very bright, clear, green colour. The filters (which are under the pipes entering the tank) should also be checked to ensure they are clean and not black with debris which will ruin the hydraulic system. This job is not difficult, best to get a Haynes manual if you are not sure of what you are doing.
Another thing to check is the 'softness' of the suspension, it should be very compliant compared wiht other cars. Have the engine running then push down on each wing, the car should move down and return gently, if it is very hard then the spheres may need changing.
The last thing I would check is the condition of the 'Accumulater' sphere. This is effectively the 'reserve' for the hydraulic system in the event of pump failure when driving. With the engine running you should only hear the LHM pump 'clicking in' every 30 seconds or more, any less then the sphere probably needs changing. Again, not a difficult job.