C5 VS Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lancia58
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Xantia 2.0 16V Automatic make year 2000 LHD
Citroen C4 THP Automatic make year 2009 LHD
Citroen C4 VTS 2.0 16V make year 2006 LHD

C5 VS Xantia

Post by lancia58 »

Hi All

I thought about buying a C5 first generation with face lift ( of course keeping my Xantia ) . I drove an 2006 one 2.0 Automatic with 50000 miles and I got the feeling that the Xantia is a better and more refined car. Although my Xantia is none hyderactive the handling and ride quality is by far better , is this my objective impression or there are other who share the same impression. I also have an 2009 C4 and IMHO it is better than the C5 more responsive and better grip although it is more tough. I'll be more than happy if others can share with me their thoughts/experience regarding C5 vs Xantia

Thanks
Zohar
Xantia 2.0 16V Automatic make year 2000 LHD
Citroen C4 THP Automatic make year 2009 LHD
Citroen C4 VTS 2.0 16V make year 2006 LHD
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Re: C5 VS Xantia

Post by citroenxm »

Theres been LOTS of C5 and Xantia comparison topics...

If you are going for a C5, I think the facelift with C4 typre headlights is a far better car over the early cars..

The 2.0 16v seems to have been a reliable engine like its 8v brother.. and its 6 speed too and 138bhp..

AVIOD the 1.6 HDi like the plaige... not a good unit..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I've had three C5s and three Xantias, I much prefer the drive of a Xantia, the C5 is too numb, too light and too vague. They are an excellent tool but they are lacking something with the earlier big Citroens have.

That said I would buy another as the five C5s we have had here have been so good for what we use them for. They also offer a better ride than anything else in its class but they don't ride as well as a Xantia, nor do they handle quite as well. However, they do cling on better.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

In my opinion the Xantia is nicer looking and has a better build quality than the C5 but I still find the C5 to be a nice drive and phase one C5's seem to be a rare thing to see on the road. Maybe 'cos most are in the scrappys. More complicated and expensive to mend compared to the Xantia so less of a DIYers car. But hey, they are both Citroens so that's why we love them....
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Well i have both at the moment :)

The C5 wins on MPG and having a strong reliable if not slow engine. its the HDi90 and can be chipped to great ease but i see no need.

The Xantia is a softer and more comfortable ride. With cruise fitted it would be a lot better and the XUD9 engine with the bosch pump is as strong as the units come and just runs on anything slightly combustible.
They are easier to work on with less electronics and cheap for most parts IMO and C5's are heading that way but still need a lexia or clone to get to the crux of most issues if its not a purely mechanical problem :(

Also the Xantia is getting rarer and is still cheaper than a C5 although suffers from the rusty door jambs far too much and rust on door hinges for the later models.
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Hmmm.

The rusty door jambs is hit n miss.. also Will, try a Xantia with HDi... Electronics to go wrong? Not on these 8v units, they are as reliable as can be. Mines on 257k all original, bar the pump which developed a cutting out at high demand. but its the only one Ive know of to do it..

My V reg HDi is all clear in the door jambs, but so is an L reg one I have. But a T reg is BAD here, and so was my P reg V6..

Its not a common patten issue..

The XUD cannot be compared to a HDi C5.. they are worlds apart, but the HDi Xantia to the C5. Xantia Better on fuel, quicker faster. Downside, xantia far less safe in a collision, where the C5 scores very well here. Though I for one is one person who doesnt really look at crash protection. Im not planning on hitting anything.

Early C5 (S1 Models) seem to have lots of niggles that seem to have been sorted by the S2. Front calipers sticking on, rear calipers leanong in with worse then xantia consiquences... hand brake cable guide tubes a right PITA to change.. I think are the main S1 to S2 carry on's ...

I must admit, I like the S2 car..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

citroenxm wrote: The XUD cannot be compared to a HDi C5.. they are worlds apart, but the HDi Xantia to the C5. Xantia Better on fuel, quicker faster.
Having a Xantia 110HDi and a C5 110HDi here, I can confirm that the Xantia is quite a bit better on fuel and responds better too.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

citroenxm wrote: The XUD cannot be compared to a HDi C5.. they are worlds apart, but the HDi Xanti to the C5. Xantia Better on fuel, quicker faster. Downside, xantia far less safe in a collision, where the C5 scores very well here. Though I for one is one person who doesnt really look at crash protection. Im not planning on hitting anything.
I've never understood the "I'm not planing on hitting anything" argument. I doubt many people do it purpose. What about those who might drive into you? Do you not consider that possibility?

Anyway, That considered, C5 110HDI wins the argument for me. It has much more grip than the Xantia and feels more confident on the road. The brakes are better. It doesn't ride as well as a Xantia but it doesn't ride as well as a Rolls Royce either.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Citroenmad wrote:
citroenxm wrote: The XUD cannot be compared to a HDi C5.. they are worlds apart, but the HDi Xantia to the C5. Xantia Better on fuel, quicker faster.
Having a Xantia 110HDi and a C5 110HDi here, I can confirm that the Xantia is quite a bit better on fuel and responds better too.
I'm not sure I agree with you Chris. I find the C5 just as responsive as the Xantia. I wonder if it's something to do with the C5's road manner's that makes it feel slower. The facts and figures have the Xantia and C5 8V 110 with exactly the same performance figures.

Even with a bubbling header tank my C5 is reasonably economical. I'm not driving it that slowly, and it's showing 47.1mpg on the computer.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Thing is the XUD is a quicker revving engine compared to the HDi but the HDi has more torque than the XUD.

The fuelling wins it for me at the moment in the battle although the smoothness of the HDi and its higher MPG is good as well :)