Xantia steering column bush

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nick
My Cars:

Xantia steering column bush

Post by nick »

Hi,
The steering wheel of my Xantia has suddenly developed a slight wobble ( 1 week before the MOT [:(!] ), which I suspect is the bush at the top of the column.
I’ve previously had a similar problem with a BX I used to own, and it was caused by the bush working loose and riding up the column. Is the one fitted to the Xantia prone to doing the same thing?
On the BX, removing the wheel and tapping the top of the bush back down with a hammer & large flat blade screwdriver worked, does anyone know if this is likely with the Xantia? It was easy enough to remove the wheel on the BX and have a go, but I’d rather know whether I have any chance of success before removing the airbag etc on the Xantia.
According to Haynes you can’t buy the bush separately, only the entire column [:(!]
Regards,
Nick
cheesey

Post by cheesey »

Hi,
Just as you described it. Although I'm not sure about the airbag bit as mine never had it.
Just make sure the ring thing that clicks off the indicators is set correctly because i did not and had to do the thing again[:I]
94 1.9 td sx 170000 and lovin' it until the problem.[:D]
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Thanks, I was hoping it would be something simple like this.
I'm ok with removing the airbag as I've had to do it a couple of times before, but it does make a job like this more long-winded.
Did you have to remove much else to get at the bush once the wheel was off?
cheesey

Post by cheesey »

If I recall right, and this was for a '94 car, only the stero remote connector, a black indicator on/off disc and its 3 posi screws. Re-greased the bush, hit it back in with my biggest socket and preened one bit over to stop it happening again.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Mine's a '97 (pre-facelift model) so other than the airbag I think it should be the same as yours, I'll give it a go at the weekend.
Thanks again
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

I had to tighten the bush up on my 97'er for the test, no way would the bush come out but pushing it further in took the slack out of it, trouble was as soon as the wheel was turned the bush rode back up and the play was back.
Remedy, turned a disc at work 2mm thick 22mm centre hole and I think it was 36mm o/d but can't remember for sure, knocked the crimps back, walloped the disc in and knocked the crimps over the hold it, no play there at all now but what a ball ache, never come accross wonky steering wheel on any other car, more stonkingly good french design then.........NOT.
Dave
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Yes, much as I like big Citroens there are quite a few silly design faults like this which can be very frustrating at times !
Nick
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Dont forget the bottom one, on the BX at least they can slide down the column also causing a wobbly wheel, Easier to sort too
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

I have also known a problem on a BX where the wheel can be pulled towards you/pushed away from you very slightly, but no side-to-side play.
I always assumed this was caused by the bottom bush?, but as it was a car I'd bought for spares and then scrapped I never bothered to investigate the problem further.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

I had a go today at tapping the top column bush back down, but with no success. [:(]
It didn’t look like it had moved much anyway, but I gave it a few hefty blows with a hammer via a piece of tubing. It seems like this may have pushed it down a couple of mm, but the play is still there. Roughly how far recessed should the top of the bush be?
I removed the lower trim panel and had a look at the bottom end of the column but there wasn’t anything obvious adrift. It does feel as though the play is in the top of the column anyway.
It looks as though I need a new column then, unless anyone has any other ideas? Will it fail the MOT if there is any play at all, or is a certain amount allowed?
Nick