Xantia 1.9TD, 1994-5. Revs not falling under load.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantia_enthusiast

Xantia 1.9TD, 1994-5. Revs not falling under load.

Post by xantia_enthusiast »

I just got a new Xantia. After 203000 miles I have relegated my old 1.9TD SX to the role of parts car. The ABS was shot, there was a bolt sheared on the hydraulic pump causing the alternator belt to run at an angle and the driver’s window was held shut with a stick in the door frame. I used to pat the roof after I parked. As the hydraulic pressure fell, she would make a 'mooing' type noise. I would say, 'there there old girl, you will be out to pasture soon.' Now she is.

In prep for this I snapped up a 1.9TD LX of the same year (1994) with only 87000 miles on the clock for the princely sum of £250.

After driving my new Xantia for a week I notice there are some differences in power and engine characteristics. In addition to this she seems a bit sluggish.

1. There seems to be some kind of lag between me taking my foot off the accelerator and the engine speed dropping while under load. That is, if I am accelerating and take my foot off the pedal the engine speed does not drop immediately as I would expect. Instead the revs increase ever so slightly for around 1 second then they fall.

What happens: While under load the engine speed does not immediately fall when the accelerator position is reduced.
What I expect to happen: When I release the accelerator pedal, I expect the engine speed to fall.
What actually happens: When I release the accelerator pedal the engine speed increase ~200RPM then falls.

This does not seem right. My previous Xantia (1994 SX) Did not do this at all.

2. This Xantia is really quite sluggish. The SX had plenty of power. It could get up to 70MPh without any fuss. This new Xantia can get to 70MPh, it is really slow about it and takes a little time to get wound up to speed.

I do not know if these problems are related although I suspect they may be. The engine has no knocks or rattly noises and appears to be in relatively good condition. I have just changed the oil and I am running on 100% diesel.

Has anyone got any suggestions?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Xantia 1.9TD, 1994-5. Revs not falling under load.

Post by Peter.N. »

Does it still have the damper on the throttle lever on the pump? If so throw it away. If it doesn't check that the cable is allowing the throttle lever to fully return, could be that the cable is sticking. Otherwise check for air ingress to the fuel supply.

Peter
xantia_enthusiast

When you say dampner do you mean the diapham/spring/rubber thing on the back of the pump?
xantia_enthusiast

I just looked up a picture of a xant dampener. I can confirm this has been removed already.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Get someone to push the accelerator down then release it while you watch the throttle lever, make sure it goes back instantly.

Peter
xantia_enthusiast

I can confirm the lever goes down instantly. I cannot check it while the engine is under load as that would require the car to be driving.
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Check for excessive slack in the accelerator cable by pulling on the black top hat adjuster until the throttle arm moves then moving the spring clip along until excess slack it taken out, at 87,000 its likely to still be a bit tight :)
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
xantia_enthusiast

I can confirm there is no slack on the accelerator pedal.