Good and bad with lifting kit

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

isisalar
My Cars:

Good and bad with lifting kit

Post by isisalar »

Unable to stomach £72 per hour labour charges for relatively simple jobs I decided a jack and a pair of axle stands was needed, to do things like sphere changes etc. A quick search showed both items could be bought, together with various other related items, for about £50 as a lifting kit. As I had to go there anyway, and the extras seemed to be a good package, I got this one from GSF:-http://www.gsfcarparts.com/987aa1660 With the 10pc discount it was £53.
All the items seem to be of reasonable quality and perform as they should.
However, the jack is just tiny, almost like a miniature. It can just about manage to lift a wheel on the Xantia, on high, if on the jacking point, and on the underside hardly at all. The tool kit jack is more useful. Here's a picture of the little rascal in action, almost at full stretch and not lifting yet:-https://www.dropbox.com/s/q3w1ehpw3hbbr ... .27.31.jpg
The last time I bought a 2 ton jack it was the cheapest/smallest available, a reasonable size and worked well on my first Xantia so I didn't really give the size issue much thought.It was about twice the size of the new one. The cheapest one now available from the place I bought that one from, is the exact same one as in the kit, for £26. A bit of searching today shows that these miniatures are really all that's available in the various kits, or as a stand alone 2 ton jack, and that to get something suitable for an Xantia, size wise, something rated 3 tons plus is going to be necessary.
Hope this is helpful to anyone considering getting something similar.
How come jacks have got smaller? Cars certainly haven't.
I am getting a whiff of health and safety/EEC about this, can't put my finger on it though.
Can anyone suggest anything suitable?
Cheers
Paul
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
Chlorate
My Cars:

Re: Good and bad with lifting kit

Post by Chlorate »

The Xantia weighs in at 1.6 tons, you wouldn't need a 3 ton jack unless you were trying to lift the entire weight of nearly two of them :twisted:

I bought a similar 2 ton trolley jack from Halfrauds years ago, always found it to be ample for my needs..
Granted I don't usually bother trying to lift the car with the suspension up on high.
Unless the GSF one is smaller?
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Xantia's aren't quite that lardy Chlorate :twisted:

The V6 is the heaviest by far at 1496Kg, the Activa TCT is 1320Kg, and the HDi 110 exclusive is 1436Kg. Most of the lower spec models are around the 1300-1350Kg mark.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/f ... back-1993/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Off the top of my head my trolley jack is a smallish 2 ton one from machine mart and it has no trouble jacking up the front of my V6 which as mentioned is the heaviest Xantia made. The problem I find with my jack though is that its "reach" from right down to right up could do with being a bit longer.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

My mistake, within +/- 25% though :wink:
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Mandrake wrote: The problem I find with my jack though is that its "reach" from right down to right up could do with being a bit longer.
Axle stand and a big block of wood, 2 stage it, easier than a great big jack.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

This little baby won't even lift the car high enough to get it on to the first notch of the axle stands, it's just too small. What I was saying was it's the size/reach of the higher rated ones which makes them necessary, not the lifting capacity. There may well be suitable 2 tonners available but I haven't found one yet.
Cheers
Paul
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Unless it's imperative the wheels come off, I use ramps every time. Much better. Jacking - I have a Halfords 2 tonne jack that cost me £19 years ago, some Halfords Axle stands and I use a block of wood on the jack to save sill/chassis scratches. Though, as I said, ramps every time for me. I picked mine up s/h off eBay for a tenner. They're ok for up to 205 tyres, I know that much..
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

This is exactly what I'm saying, the £20 jacks 10-15 yrs ago were very useful now they're just toys and no more help than the tool kit jack.
Cheers
Paul
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I rarely have to use jacks, normally I just put it on high, slip the axle stands under the jacking points and set her on low and there's plenty of space to work underneath.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I used to do that with the Xantias too Xac. I put the Activa on ramps to do the rear spheres though.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I've one of the Arcan low profile four-wheeled trolley jacks in aluminium; best all-purpose jack I ever bought. The UK price appears to be £140.

Only gripe was the usual low quality rubber pad - a soft pine block sorted it.
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

I used to struggle with the usual £20 trolley jacks, ramps, my timber block collection was second to none :) then A pleased client gave me a proper garage jack, heavy but it goes 18" straight up and can lift three tons, I was then in Machine mart where I saw a 2 tonne Hi Lift, that goes over a foot too, it does speed up jobs to be able to seriously send the front of a car up and allow room to work safely, these are always backed up with axle stands/blocks.
The £20 trolley jack does appear to have shrunk though.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I bought a 30cwt Bradbury jack in the '60s which cost me about a weeks wages - but I still have it and it still works but it probably weighs nearly as much as it lifts. I bought a couple of 'modern' jacks about 10 years ago very cheaply compared with my original, they obviously are not as solid as the old ones but they have worked reasonably well for me - but, I am not lifting the car from the ground as I have a ramp constructed with two heavy pieces of timber, a bank with a retaining wall and a couple of oil drums. I built this about 40 years ago. As the ground is on a fairly steep slope I can drive straight onto the boards, these give me just the right working height for brakes, suspension etc and to work underneath I have a stool of the appropriate height to sit on. This system is not difficult to construct if you have the space and is worth its weight in gold.

Peter