Radio woes C5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5:Hatch & an Esatate. Real cruisemobiles.

Radio woes C5

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Currently missing Ken Bruce's dulcet tones of a morning. (Well come on, can't keep missing popmaster can I?) Radio's ok on long wave and medium wave but nothing on FM, just hiss, won't find a station. If I pull the power or aerial lead from the aerial base end even AM drops out (R4, LW), so the amp and coax appear ok. I've tried another aerial base unit (with aerial too) but no difference. I put in another radio too (from a scrappy) but it beeps at me very loudly. Seems to tune according to the display, hisses on FM below the beeping but won't find any stations either. It looks exactly the same as the original but admittedly is a different model number.Any suggestions (apart from my choice of station) please?
(ps haven't been able to find an adoptor to plug a mag mount aerial in to the back of the radio directly yet. Also definitively have power to the base unit pcb)
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Radio woes C5

Post by Peter.N. »

You seem to have no VHF signal, try pulling out the aerial plug and pushing the end of about 3' of wire in the centre of the socket, having removed about 1/2" of insulation and folded the wire over the plastic to increase the size so it stays in. If you have the same results with another radio it must be an aerial fault, I wonder if it has a pre amp at the aerial end which has packed up or lost its voltage feed.

Peter
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Hi Peter, thanks for the reply. I'll give that a try, I'll also try another "normal" type radio (it's just that all the connections are different) too. Thing is disconnecting plug / sockets (either RF or power) at the base end pre-amp definitely makes a difference. Also maybe I need to match the replacement radio with Lexia to stop it beeping, then I could tell for sure.
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I've got a beeping radio here but I think its for a 406, you should still be able to hear enough to tell whether its working though.
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Well I'll try again, but those beeps are b@oo@Y loud!. I agree though, even if its beeping loudly it should still find a station. I did try the spare base unit with both radios though :? I'll buzz out the coax between radio and base unit as well.