Diagnostic/OBD readers

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mltk

Diagnostic/OBD readers

Post by mltk »

What is the best OBD/Diagnostic reader for Citroens?
I currently have Citroen Xsara -01 1.6 16V (TU5JP4) manual and got the engine warning light on.
Since I don't have any OBDII reader, I'm trying to find one.

What is difference between MaxiDiag Elite MD704 and Lexia-3?
What Lexia 3 can do more than MaxiDiag?

From MaxiDiag specs
Vehicle Coverage: Peugeot, Citroen, Renault, Dacia, Fiat, Abarth, Alfa-Romeo, Lancia.

-One tool can do it all-reads and clears trouble codes on either the basic 4 systems (engine, transmission, ABS and airbag) or all the systems
-Turns off warning lights
-Reads live datastream and freeze frame
-Supports all 10 test modes of the latest J1979 OBD II test specs,including Read Codes, Erase Codes, Live Data, Freeze Frame,I/M Readiness, O2 Mon.Test, On-Board Mon.Test, Component Test and Vehicle Information
-Enhanced OBD II Mode 6
-OBD II code tips guide technicians to the root cause of trouble code faster
-Data graphing
-One year free software upgrade
-Prints data via PC

More from local authorized dealer's website:
-Track (P0, P2, P3, and U0) & manufacturer specific (P1, P3, and U1) error codes
-SAE-J1850 PWM, SAE-J1850 VPW, KWP2000(ISO-14230), ISO-9141-2, CAN BUS (ISO-15765-4)

-Compatible cars:
Citroen 1998 ->
Peugeot 1998 ->
Renault 1998 ->
Abarth 1998 ->
Alfa-Romeo 1998 ->
Fiat 1998 ->
Lancia 1998 ->
Dacia 1998 ->
I have read that Lexia 3 has some problems with C5 (Old posts from different forums, idk is it patched/fixed already or user error)
I would like to have that same OBD reader work with the next car in future which is Citroen C5 most likely or other PSA vehicle.
Price is not relevant, since I could get MaxiDiag (Actually MaxiDiag Elite MD802 which covers all MD701-MD704 models) cheap from good source.

I'm not really a car person and this Citroen is my first car, so I don't really know which one to buy :?
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

You really will be better off with Lexia or Diagbox.
mltk

Re: Diagnostic/OBD readers

Post by mltk »

Is there any difference between Lexia 3's on sale?
LEXIA 3 PEUGEOT Citroen DIAGNOSTIC INTERFACE PP2000 CAN BUS DIAGBOX V7 V48 V25
correct/reliable/right version?

Questions:
-Lexia and PP2000 software are for pre-2001 and Diagbox is for post-2001 vehicles?
-Recommended to install Win XP 32bit I assume?
-Does Lexia/PP2000/Diagbox work together or do I need to install each one with own OS (dualboot or own VirtualMachine for each one) if need to use two software?
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

Lexia is quite good at spelling out what it thinks is wrong, generic tools may not be so specific and won't work on older PSA models.

-Lexia and PP2000 software are for pre-2001 and Diagbox is for post-2001 vehicles?

No, Diagbox is more of a "front end" for Lexia and Peugeot Planet. You go into Lexia through Diagbox.

-Recommended to install Win XP 32bit I assume?

Yes, it won't work on 64 bit operating systems. Some people do run it on newer machines by using virtual machines running XP.

-Does Lexia/PP2000/Diagbox work together or do I need to install each one with own OS (dualboot or own VirtualMachine for each one) if need to use two software?

They both work through Diagbox, only needs one install.

Some of the cheaper, nastier copies of the hardware have been known to not work with later versions of Diagbox, but that's about it.
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

There are several options as to where you can buy a Lexia system from, but there are a couple of reliable sources. I have bought one from Easy Diagnostics, and (although it was more expensive than others) I have no reason to regret my choice.

Some of the cheap Chinese clones won't work above Diagbox 5.29.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
mltk

Post by mltk »

Okay... I finally got the Lexia 3 device.
Is there any STEP-BY-STEP guide to install Diagbox (v7.02 prepatched + 7.04 patch came with box).
nvm. found (" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

First try I got software working, but when plugged to car it just displayd "Connection error" to all devices in car except Alternator, which displayed like "data transfer error" (translation from local lang, not sure what exact could be in english)

Q:
-In which part of installation I connect hardware to pc (the lexia 3 'thing'. before, after installation)?
-Is internet connection required in any part or must be disconnect during specific part (installed totally offline)?
-what is the order to plug hardware to car?

using Win XP Home x86. Currently reinstalling XP for second try...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

mltk wrote:Okay... I finally got the Lexia 3 device.
Is there any STEP-BY-STEP guide to install Diagbox (v7.02 prepatched + 7.04 patch came with box).
nvm. found (" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

First try I got software working, but when plugged to car it just displayd "Connection error" to all devices in car except Alternator, which displayed like "data transfer error" (translation from local lang, not sure what exact could be in english)

Q:
-In which part of installation I connect hardware to pc (before, after installation)?
Like most USB devices, its best to install the software before plugging the interface in for the first time. I would install first and then plug it in just before launching Diagbox.
-Is internet connection required in any part or must be disconnect during specific part (installed totally offline)?
An internet connection is not required AFAIK, however a network interface must be present and enabled on the computer or the software will fail with an activation error, and the same network interface that is present during installation must be present later when you are using the software. This is because the software appears to "register" to the MAC address of one of the network interfaces during installation.

So for example you must have an Ethernet interface or Wireless interface enabled even if they are not connected to the internet.

You also must allow all firewall prompts during install / launching, (you may need to press it 20+ times) or turn off the windows firewall.

If you have any problem with installation try it with an active internet connection.
-what is the order to plug hardware to car?
Connect the interface to the PC before launching Diagbox or Diagbox will give an error and will need to be restarted. If you are diagnosing a car which requires Lexia (choosing the model of car takes you to a screen that says Lexia and Scantool) at that screen you must unplug the USB cable to the interface (at the USB end) for 5 seconds then plug it back in and wait 5 seconds before clicking on Lexia or it will not communicate with the interface. (Known bug - they all do that)

The cable from interface to car only needs to be plugged in before launching Lexia, and can be unplugged and reconnected later without issues, you just need to re-enter the individual ECU for it to re-establish communication if you had to unplug the cable to the diagnostic socket or turn off the key.

Edit: one more comment - if you're reinstalling Windows XP from scratch I believe that the original version of XP (without service packs) will not work, you should install service pack 3 before attempting installation of Diagbox. Also there is anecdotal evidence that XP Pro is required and that XP Home may not work. (I have not tried it myself)

I've been successful with Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 and Windows 7 Professional 32 bit edition.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

XP32 Home is fine btw
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
mltk

Post by mltk »

Stickyfinger wrote:XP32 Home is fine btw
Got it working :)
I guess, I forgot to launch software after installation (v7.01 changes to 7.02 after close and reopen) before applied 7.02 to 7.04 patch :?

But now I found quite many malfunctions (just ran the quick diagnostic).
-Air Condition,Injection,Airbag,Radio,instrument :|

Q:
-Is there guide/manual to Lexia for all functions, how to use, keys etc?
-Is there way to save all errors/data so you could browse them later without being plugged in car?
-Can you change language after installation? Since my native language probably wont tell you nothing and software's text seems just nonsense as now (like they used Google Translator)
Last edited by mltk on 17 Sep 2013, 22:12, edited 2 times in total.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

mltk wrote: But now I found quite many malfunctions (just ran the quick diagnostic).
-Air Condition,Injection,Airbag,Radio,instrument :|
The first thing I would do is to go into each ECU and clear all the errors, then use the car for a couple of days, then rescan it. You will likely find some are old errors and won't come back.

Some won't be. I reckon your airbag error probably is old, if the light isn't on any more.

Be prepared for some head-scratching moments :-p
mltk

Post by mltk »

Reseted all errors except injection.
Injection error reseting asks kilometers driven, do I enter current kilometers there?

and.... after short course...filled tank.... some new errors found like from BSI what wasn't before. :|
These two found before reseting (need to check again as soon as laptop charges..)
P1156
P0121

Is there somewhere list of error codes? Got Citroen ServiceBox .. is there?

AND THE EXHAUST PIPE DROPPED from middle of car (just before silencer) during driving home :roll: :roll: :roll:
I feeling like I'm done with this car :|
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Yes, when clearing the injection ECU you input the current odometer reading.

My experience with the TU5JP4 ECU is that it can have faults inside the box; you can check every connection and find they're perfect but it still won't behave.
mltk

Post by mltk »

https://mega.co.nz/#F!fEAUTLRY!F6M8xwfRw99QCUTMZKfCug" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Checked more. Filename tells what ecu.

Could you tell where to start looking faults.
Probably going to check all wires/connectors from engine room later and where I can find.

Why I can't erase injection fault codes? Any other ecu's error codes can reseted.
addo wrote:My experience with the TU5JP4 ECU is that it can have faults inside the box; you can check every connection and find they're perfect but it still won't behave.
great...
mltk

Post by mltk »

anyone? :oops:
howardaskew
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 2.2 HDI 173 VTX+ 6 Speed Manual
X7 2010 2.0 HDI VTR+ 16v 163
X7 2012 1.6HDI VTR+ 110
C5 2.0 HDI Mk2 VTR+ Now scrapped
2nd Car SAAB 9-3 TID 2007 Now Scrapped
Ex C5 2.2 HDI Mk1 Exclusive Automatic Destroyed Sep 2018 in a RTA Sadly missed but all ok.
Ex Citroen C5 2.0 VTR HDI 186k Hit a tree at 50mph and lived to tell the tale. Although my ribs still click!
Ex Citroen C4 (caught fire in middle of town :( )
Ex C5 Mk 1 clocked up 276k on original clutch now scrapped
Ex Xantia (Passed to Wife and clocked up 169,000 now scrapped)
Audi 200 Turbo manual 1984 (It was a very very fast beast :) )

Post by howardaskew »

I have installed and Run Lexia 3 Diagbox 7.76

It works on a Mk1 and a Mk 2 C5 HDI with no problems.

Regarding the Injector faults. I found that I had to switch off the car in order to clear the Injector faults.

The Mk 2 has a Fault Log which was full up.

I found Lexia very useful to test the suspension. I now know that the (Mk 2 ) Pump works and the car will raise and lower. It just won't do it without Lexia. :(

I think the ECUs will pick up faults from other (defective?) ECUs and will stop functioning as specified.

It will be interesting to find the reason for the suspension faults.

Both cars had listed Steering angle sensor faults which cleared.