Help please with rear caliper!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dowen

Help please with rear caliper!

Post by dowen »

I set about changing rear discs today, what I thought would be an easy job! (c5 2ltr hdi est 2006)
The two caliper bolts came out but were tight, there's no corrosion, so it must have been Locktight. Well I got them almost out, and I noticed fluid leaking from what looks like the joins between the two half's of the caliper!, Its not coming from anywhere else, defiantly not the piston, or I haven't fractured the pipe !
So I bolted it up again smartish! Its not leaking now. Any one got any ideas? I expected the caliper to come straight off
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Help please with rear caliper!

Post by citronut »

did you leave the thin bolt in that hold the pads in place, as this would keep the caliper halves together, whilst the main mounting bolts are out,

the other thing to be aware of is build up of corrosion between the caliper and the suspension arm,

this will need cleaning off so the caliper sits flat against the arm
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
dowen

Post by dowen »

Thanks Malcolm, no I didn't, I took pads out and bolt.What do I do now? If I undo it all and take the caliper off, will I be able to re seal the two half's of the caliper?
Another thing, there's no flexible brake pipe, so will I have to undo pipe to caliper?

Regs Dave
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

If you leave the pad bolt in, it will hold the caliper together whilst you clean p the corrosion between the caliper and rear arm.
Providing you didn't allow the caliper to come apart, it is highly unlikely it will leak again, there is an O- ring Inbetweeners the halves, and it doesn't just fall out as it sits in a machined recess.
Rebuild it all together and get someone to hold the brake on hard to chek for leaks.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

If it has fallen apart just keep it very clean on reassembly and make sure the flat section O ring is in its place, I make a visqueen shim to go between the caliper and arm to keep the different metals apart, you will need to bleed the brakes on completion.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Not sure on yours but my callipers were the same both sides (symmetrical) so I just swapped left to right etc so clean sides not sit next to the car metal mounting. Hope that sense......
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
dowen

Post by dowen »

Thanks gentlemen, that's brilliant, I wasn't sure what was between the two halves! So I bolted it up again as soon as I saw the leak.I hadnt' thought of an "o" ring!
I think I'm sorted now . Look tomorrow if its not Raining

Thanks for all your help.

Dave.