C5 side light blowing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ben82
My Cars: C5 V6 2004

C5 side light blowing

Post by Ben82 »

Hi all,
Car just went in for it's Swedish MOT, and it came out with one fault of the front right sidelight is blown (I noticed it was months ago, but I figured since the swedes have headlights on all the time, it shouldn't really matter :) ).

Thing is I replaced the same one about this time last year, I'm not sure if it blew during the time of having the battery trouble earlier in the year, but if I recall, I remember reading that the C5s are renowned for blowing the sidelights?

If that is the case, does anyone have any recommendations for bulbs that are seemingly less prone to blowing on the C5? (it's fine if I should get them in the UK as I can pick it up next month when I'm back in the UK). As I'd rather not buy a load, and have to keep replacing them :)

Cheers

Ben
2004 Citroen C5 3L V6 Auto
Brit living in Sweden with an imported from Germany French Car!
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: C5 side light blowing

Post by Stickyfinger »

convert them to LEDs....?

http://www.phoenixautobulbs.co.uk/pr/ig ... -433c-led/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

Stickyfinger wrote:convert them to LEDs....?

http://www.phoenixautobulbs.co.uk/pr/ig ... -433c-led/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  • Off road and show use only
:(
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

OK :)....there are some which are standard output....make me Google then :)

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/501-LE ... right.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I had the same trouble with our C4 Picasso - these use the same H6W offset pin bulbs that have a half life measured in femto-seconds, with a price tag to make your eyes water! I bought some of these from ebay: LED bulbs They work fine, no bulb failure errors (may not be an issue on C5 - so you might be able to for cheaper ones) and look OK - they are quite bluey-white, but no issue. That's about the same price as a pair of incandescent bulbs that last a few seconds :roll:
Richard W
Ben82

Post by Ben82 »

Stickyfinger wrote:OK :)....there are some which are standard output....make me Google then :)

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/501-LE ... right.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've had a number of GU10 LED bulbs in my flat blow days after putting them in, so I don't think LEDs are any less prone to being blown than regular ones, hence me asking for recommendations of what people have had success with. :)
RichardW wrote:I had the same trouble with our C4 Picasso - these use the same H6W offset pin bulbs that have a half life measured in femto-seconds, with a price tag to make your eyes water! I bought some of these from ebay: LED bulbs They work fine, no bulb failure errors (may not be an issue on C5 - so you might be able to for cheaper ones) and look OK - they are quite bluey-white, but no issue. That's about the same price as a pair of incandescent bulbs that last a few seconds :roll:
Thanks Richard, I believe mine uses W5W bulbs (been a while since I checked), but looks like that seller has them with the W5W ends so will look at those, they seem to be only a tad more expensive than the regular ones over here, so well worth using if they don't blow.
EDIT: looks like I probably can go for these as shouldn't need the canbus stuff.
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

Never had any issues with sidelights blowing in my MK1, i have LED 501's from Ebay, cost £3 delivered from memory.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Car-LED-5 ... 2eca296464" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if these are the cap less halogens as in face lift C5's ,

i found the holders melt, so this could cause repeated bulb failure,, and its a front off to fit the dam things :shock: :roll: #-o
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Richard Stevens
My Cars:

Post by Richard Stevens »

I heard about the short life of the sidelight bulbs about 4 years ago, just after buying my first C5.
Sure enough, one soon went, so I looked for a decent OEM bulb.
I bought some Philips H6W bulbs online from Regal Auto Bulbs ltd and changed the blown one and
the other one.
No further changes needed. Now on my second C5, same problem. Even found one of the bulbs
was the wrong type (diametrically opposite pins), jammed in.
Been in now for 6 months, no problems.

Philips no. 12036CP. Code 87603473. I think I paid £20 for a box of 10.

Rgds
RS
1995 ZX Turbo diesel Volcane
1999 Xantia HDI
2005 C5 1.6 HDI
2006 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive
Remember - many warnings are spurious or bad connections