ZX 1.9D Coolant replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kaspar
My Cars:

ZX 1.9D Coolant replacement

Post by kaspar »

Hi there
I have a 1992 ZX 1.9D and want to change the coolant as I reckon this has not been done for a while. I do not have much mechanical experience but I guess I should be able to do this.
I have read through the Haynes manual and have a few questions on this:
Where can I find the cylinder drain plug, Haynes manual photograph does not realy help on this.
Do I have to drain from the cylinder or is just draining the radiator sufficient?
Do I have to flush out the system and what is the best way to go about about this?
Finally when refilling can I use normal tap water to mix with antifreeze or do i have to use distilled water?
thanks for your help
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think the bottom hose has a bayonet type fitting and you drain it that way. The radiator should be flushed carefully, ideally by removing it and connecting it to a garden hose. The block and heater should similarily flushed then ideally the whole system should be filled with distilled or rain water (clean.) Ion exchange water should not be used as while it may not fur up your pipes it simply has calcium ions swapped for sodium which are probably more corrosive.
Jeremy
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

The block drain plug is at the back of the engine, an inch or so below the first core plug at the gearbox end.
Dave
kaspar
My Cars:

Post by kaspar »

thanks i will give it a go this weekend!
kaspar
My Cars:

Post by kaspar »

just one more question for the moment can i get to the block drain plug from the top of the engine?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

I would think the plug can be got to from above, you will probably have to remove the air intake ducting between the filter and the manifold first, not farmiliar with non td ducting so can't say for sure.
You wont be able to see it unless you have an inspection mirror so if not it will be a feel for it job, can't remember the size just now but they are fond of using 19 and 21mm for this type of thing, can have a look on a block in the garage if you need to know for sure.
Dave
Diagsys
My Cars:

Post by Diagsys »

there is no need to get all complicated with this. Firstly your engine (xud9) requires a coolant change every 5 years. The mixture should be approx 1/3 antifreeze 2/3 water. Tap water is fine.
secondly just disconnect the bottom hose from the radiator, not forgetting to take the cap off the header tank on the side of the radiator! once its drained start the engine and run at idle for maybe 20 secs to help pump any residual water from the circuit. you can flush next but its not really nessecary. (believe me i live in a VERY harsh climate and it makes no difference wether you flush it)
Then reconnect the hose and get a filler bottle to put on the header tank, this is very important as the system is gravity fed and the header tank is lower than some parts of the cooling system, without the filler bottle the highest parts of the system will retain air. when filling with the mixture open the bleed screws on the system (they look like valve caps) there will be one to the top left of the engine bay, one on the heater matrix pipes coming through the bulkhead at the middle of the back and one on or near the thermostsat housing at the right hand end of the head. Once you get a steady flow of liquid out of these then close them in turn. Continue to fill until the filler bottle doesn't drain anymore. Start the engine and keep revving it from the engine bay, keep the level in the bottle topped up. eventually the thermostat will open and a lot more water will go into the system, you will see the bubbles coming into the filler bottle, also you will know because the top radiator hose will get hot. keep revving and filling until the engine cooling fan cuts in. Then turn the engine off and leave it to cool with the filler bottle still connected, an hour or so should do the trick. Now you're ready to go.
Sorry for being so long winded, but this is the easiest and most effective way to do this. Trust me i'm a citroen mechanic!
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

"Firstly your engine (xud9) requires a coolant change every 5 years"
"Trust me i'm a citroen mechanic!"
Fit many heater matrixes do we? ;)
kaspar
My Cars:

Post by kaspar »

Hi
all done now, thanks for your advice!
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Diagsys</i>

Firstly your engine (xud9) requires a coolant change every 5 years. The mixture should be approx 1/3 antifreeze 2/3 water. Tap water is fine.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Without wishing to provoke an argument, my advice to anyone who hopes to keep their engine and cooling system in tiptop condition, is to renew the coolant every TWO years. Also, for the sake of a little bit more cash, it's worth upping the mix to 50/50. The anti corrosion properties are probably more important than the anti freeze.
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

I'm thinking of changing my antifreeze to the non-poisonous propylene glycol (PG or MPG) if I can get it - just to be on the safe side with the dogs/cats. Has anyone used this stuff? Is it readily available in the UK?
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Non-poisonous A/F, used it in my wife's Vauxhall at 50% concentration (Comma £10/5l). No problems with overheating, leaks etc. It was meant to last 4 years/50,000 miles between changes but that seemed too long for comfort, so I changed it after 2 years.