Xantia heater - no A/C

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nikolaymk

Xantia heater - no A/C

Post by Nikolaymk »

Hi,
When I switch the heater on and set the temp lever to warm there is a very strong smell (I don't know of what) for only a few seconds. Is that due to the heater matrix gone? Can I do without repairing it?
Cheers
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi, The odour you have smelled probably is due to your first use since summer.Is it a 'dry' type of smell? If it is, it will be dust and other bits that have dried on and settled onto your matrix. A big sign of your matrix having 'Gone' is your windscreen steaming up on you and the carpet normally on the passenger side getting damp.
Cheers
Paul
Nikolaymk

Post by Nikolaymk »

Yes it is a strong dry type of smell. The windscreen is fine and the passenger footwell is dry. The lever that directs the flow (screen only, face, feet, face and feet etc) seems to be faulty as no matter what I do air comes from all vents. To have a decent amount of air for the windows I normally have to shut the dash vents with the rotating swiches to "-" (closed position). This doesn't bother me as the tempertaure is otherwise fine.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

I get the same smell for just a few seconds on my latest Xantia 2.0 CT Turbo Estate. Having changed the pollen filter, which was very choked up, the smell still occurs.
No noticible loss of coolant yet, fingers crossed!!
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

depending on the model of xantia and year, you may find that a clip that holds the outer sheath of the 'direction flow' lever may have worked loose, simple to refit if you have a haynes manual
Paul
timbo
My Cars:

Post by timbo »

i also get a smell, more of a electrical kind of smell,not all the time though.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Timbo's mention of an electrical smell is an accurate descrption the smell I get in mine, but having taken the fan motor out its not coming from that.
JohnW
My Cars:

Post by JohnW »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Richard Gallagher</i>

Timbo's mention of an electrical smell is an accurate descrption the smell I get in mine, but having taken the fan motor out its not coming from that.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Now that's interesting. I get a slight electrical smell sometimes - just enough to be disconcerting.
I understand there is a Citroen advice out there somewhere to fit a relay between the overloaded ignition switch (yes, I've replaced a cooked one!) and the heater fan. I don't know exactly where Messrs Citroen advise us to fit this relay.
Does anyone have more advice?
JohnW
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

the electrical smell, does it smell similar the an electric fire warming up?
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Not on mine particularly, its more of a electrical component overheating type of smell.
Earlier today I picked up a spare ignition switch from a breakers which appears good, I will fit it over the next couple of days and see if that sorts out the whiff.
timbo
My Cars:

Post by timbo »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by wrinklet1</i>

the electrical smell, does it smell similar the an electric fire warming up?
Not realy sure but i do remember that once when i put the blower on i notice a puff of white (could have been smoke)come from the vents,also could any of this (smell,smoke)be related to the blower resister,i had to replace mine earlier in the year and i thought it could have got wet from rain comeing in from the air intake?
Timbo.
JohnW
My Cars:

Post by JohnW »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Richard Gallagher</i>

Not on mine particularly, its more of a electrical component overheating type of smell.
Earlier today I picked up a spare ignition switch from a breakers which appears good, I will fit it over the next couple of days and see if that sorts out the whiff.
I had the ignition switch replaced under warranty - made no difference to the smell, but the internals of the old one (at 25,000 km only) were partly melted. My smell is exactly as you describe.
So the switch is overloaded, hence the need for a relay somewhere! Now we need to find someone who knows what Citroen recommended for this matter.
JohnW
Kered

Post by Kered »

I have a 1995 pre aircondtioning Xantia but I have smelt odd smells when travelling in air conditioned machines. My understanding is that it is due to bacterial growth. Why? Well consider that your air conditioning is like a fridge. In a fridge the cold part gets wet due to condensation. The same thing happens with car air conditioning, only this time the external air is blown over the cold part to cool the air. You arrive at your destination and switch the engine off. The cool wet part warms up and bacteria grow on the moisture. You return next morning, start up, and there's your smell.
Derek
JohnW
My Cars:

Post by JohnW »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kered</i>

You return next morning, start up, and there's your smell.
Derek
Derek,
Well there's your smell anyway! I have that smell sometimes when starting and it is a "dirty tennis shoe plus mould" smell. What this thread is discussing is a very distinctive electrical smell, like something just a bit too hot.
Cheers
JohnW