Grey smoke/burning smell

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

evoke

Grey smoke/burning smell

Post by evoke »

I'm hoping this is nothing to worry about, but after a struggle to turn into a very tight parking space at a relative's house yesterday that required a 7-point lock-to-lock turn, I noticed wisps of grey smoke from the front offside of the car. After parking up I switched off the engine and opened the bonnet and could see a bit of smoke escaping from below and behind the LDS reservoir (I guess not far from engine block/manifold).

I've just had the LDS reservoir tank replaced and the LDS was topped up with 2 litres of LDS fluid.

I can't phone the garage until Tuesday for an opinion, so was wondering if this could be something serious or just a bit of spilled LDS burning off? During the parking the power steering would have been strained and I was on full-lock several times to get the car parked properly. There's no leak this morning on my driveway (first time in six months!) so I don't think anything is leaking. Also, when I returned home yesterday there was no smoke.
2008 Citroen C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Grey smoke/burning smell

Post by citronut »

i dont know out about late C5's but maybe the power steering pump became hot with all the work and burned off some spillage
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
evoke

Re: Grey smoke/burning smell

Post by evoke »

^ Yes, it hasn't happened after that even though i've parked in the same spot several times over the weekend. Phew!
2008 Citroen C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive