AX, Replacement bushes.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tris

AX, Replacement bushes.

Post by tris »

I have aquired a new pair of lower rear wishbone bushes for my '93 AX debut (bushes with 2 mounting bolts with metal tube insert) When removing the old bush from the vehicle, as there was a large amount of play, I noticed that the bush had no inner metal tube and was just a rubber hole where the wishbone went in. Am I correct in thinking that the metal insert from the old bush is stuck on the wishbone? The diameter of the tube on the wishbone is the same of that of the new bush. Wish a had a digital camera so I could show you. Basically I think I want to hank the inner part of the old bush off of the wishbone, so to replace with new bush, but I can see no seam! it looks like a whole unit! Has anyone got any advice, or a diagram you can show me. I have no haynes book for this model.
Thanks, Tris
Jon

Post by Jon »

Tris,
it sounds indeed like the metal insert from the old bush is stuck on the wishbone. Try molegrips or heat to remove it.
tris

Post by tris »

Thanks for the info jon, I tried that, but with with caution because I thought I might be doing wrong. But now i will go and give it some more heat and a wack.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

tris

Post by tris »

Its stuck tight, heating and molegrips wont make it budge! Is this normal? Do ya reakon using a grinder to cut it off would be too extreme?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

I've found the best way to get the insert off is to use a set of stiltsons & lever up on them whilst turning the insert.