Xantia – Sinking after replacing accumulator sphere

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lancia58
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Xantia 2.0 16V Automatic make year 2000 LHD
Citroen C4 THP Automatic make year 2009 LHD
Citroen C4 VTS 2.0 16V make year 2006 LHD

Xantia – Sinking after replacing accumulator sphere

Post by lancia58 »

Hi All

I replaced the accumulator sphere on my none hyderactive Xantia. Before replacing it the regulator ticked each 10 seconds, now the frequent ticks are gone. To check the accumulator I turned off the engine and sat in the trunk. After around 10 seconds the car raised, I could repeat this three times before running the engine again. The problem now is that the car sinks after couple of hours, overnight it looks like the height control lever is set to low position ( where it stays at the ride position ). Any idea why that happens?
Thanks
Zohar
Xantia 2.0 16V Automatic make year 2000 LHD
Citroen C4 THP Automatic make year 2009 LHD
Citroen C4 VTS 2.0 16V make year 2006 LHD
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Re: Xantia – Sinking after replacing accumulator sphere

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Mine was sinking after an acc change and a partial LHM change too, it seems to have settled down after a couple of weeks.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Have you done a Citrobics session? There may be a little bit of air in the pipework from the new sphere. Citrobics would help clear that out. Did you also bleed the brakes? The rear brakes get fed off the suspension system (how, I don't know. Witchcraft?) so if the back is light there is very little braking force, but the heavier the back is the more pressure is fed to the rear brakes. I always bleed the brakes if I have done anything to the hydro pneumatics.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Did you also replace the rear accumulator (AKA anti sink sphere)?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: The rear brakes get fed off the suspension system (how, I don't know. Witchcraft?)
No Witchcraft, simple plumbing: a pipe runs forward from the rear (anti-sink) accumulator to the Doseur valve (separate sections for front and rear circuits) then another goes from the Doseur back to the rear where it 'T's to each calliper. These very long pipe runs mean that to bleed the rear brake circuit properly, you have to take lots of fluid out of it the first calliper (until the LHM is clean and bright green).
Hell Razor5543 wrote:so if the back is light there is very little braking force, but the heavier the back is the more pressure is fed to the rear brakes. I always bleed the brakes if I have done anything to the hydro pneumatics.
Good advice.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)