405 mi16 problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stevie fox
My Cars:

405 mi16 problems

Post by stevie fox »

guys
can anyone help i own a 92 peugoet 405 Mi16 la mans and it is causing me grief. it seems to be lacking power between 3000 & 4000rpm
i have had the lambda sensor, pickup sensor & the vacum thing replaced (sorry cant remember what its called its on the inlet manifold on the left hand side) but the problem is still there and it only happens when the engine is warm. please help!!!!
Regards
steve fudge
email thefudge149@hotmail.com
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Try the Peugeot forum.. They might know
(I was looking at an N reg Mi16 the other day..... does it go well..when its working ?)
Cheers
Jon

Post by Jon »

Someone might be able to help on Citroen as the Mi16 LeMans used the 2.0 16v XU10J4 engines as fitted to the ZX 16v and early Xantia 2.0 16v.
I seem to remember there be a problem with the 4 ignition coils on this engine, one coil breaking down under heat/load.
Maybe Benj or Gareth with a ZX16v can help further.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Thanks Jon,
I wasn't aware of this. So, is this the 155 Bhp unit. I've seen many referneces to it in the Xantia but am not sure which model it would be. It sounds like it is the early 2.0 16v. But was it only in the VSX option ?
Jon

Post by Jon »

Kev
As far as I can remember it was fitted to the Xantia 2.0 16v SX/VSX models from launch up until 1/7/95 when it was replaced by the 135BHP XU10J4R engine. It also saw service in the Pug 605 around that time, and I believe some early 306's. (306 S16)
gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

Is this lack of power associated with any erratic cruising. Normal driving conditions, cruising along and the car seems to slow then speed up?
Do you just get hesitation whilst accelerating through this band of rpm?
I think mine does the same, and I'm looking at the throttle potentionmeter as the cause. The area the wiper arm swings across may be worn. This in turn would cause an incorrect signal to the ecu, it would then cause the engine to retard the ignition timing, only for a split second, this might happen a few times, if only momentarily, and cause this sudden drop in pulling power. Stagnating when it should be going. That's my theory and I'm sticking with it, I'm sure it's complete tripe, but it sounds convincing.[:D]
You could always have the ECU memory read, there may be a faulty component, that's now stored. Instead of illuminating your K - light.
I've only had my 16V a month, so it's all new to me.[?]
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Just found a K reg 96000 miler, Xantia VSX 2.0 16V for 595 quid (on autotrader). This must be an example of the 155 Bhp model. What a bargain.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Didn't these things have a couple of black plastic bellows things (don't ask me what they call them) attched to the intake plumbing that had a habit of dying without warning?? From memory there were two of them and they used to go one at a time & cause a sudden power loss at a certain part of the power cycle.
Often, I've heard of someone being very smug by finding & replacing the faulty one and then a day or so later nearly gone beserk because the problem reappeared only to discover the second one also had gone.
Can anyone else give these things a name?? Because I'm pretty sure these are the symptoms.
Alan S