Quick Question!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cheesesliceking

Quick Question!

Post by cheesesliceking »

Hello
Whats that stuff called that you paint on the underside of yer car? is it a wax oil or something?
Cheers![:)]
allmond
My Cars:

Post by allmond »

Underseal??
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

. . . or whale oil - beef hooked (say it fast)
//NiSk
gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

Yes, WAXOIL is exactly what it's called. Well that's just one brand name. You can get carbody underseal in most motor factors, I'm sure GSF sell some don't they??
cheesesliceking

Post by cheesesliceking »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gjb02</i>

Yes, WAXOIL is exactly what it's called. Well that's just one brand name. You can get carbody underseal in most motor factors, I'm sure GSF sell some don't they??
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Cheers, i shall have a look. you have quite a few Cits i see by your sig.... and an AX GT.. nice :)[:D]
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

I thought waxoil was for inside body panels - it will wash off under the car wont it?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

In fact it sticks quite well when its dried but it will wash off those areas subjected to heavy spray like parts of your wheel arches. Its ideal for the underside of floors as it will soak into the existing compounds and soften them up again. The manufacturers suggest you use black waxoyl for wheel arches and exposed areas. this is an undersal compound and waxoyl mix and for convenience comes in an aerosol. I used some on welded plates on my wifes Mini and much to my surprise it stayed there very well.
Waxoyl is also useful for injecting into sills and box sections as well.
Jeremy
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jeremy</i>

Waxoyl is also useful for injecting into sills and box sections as well.
Jeremy
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
And if your car isn't rusting fast enough for your liking you can use it to fill in the drain holes so that it holds water and rusts faster.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I dont bother with underseal any more; since the early 80's cars have got a lot more rust resistant and are much better designed, with plastic arch protectors and fewer mud traps, and the factory applied sealants are very good now.
What I have now is a cheap jet-washer, and use it to give the underside a weekly squirting during the road salting season. This also has the benefit of removing any loose factory sealant so you can reapply before its too late.
I havent had to attack a motor with a mig in a big way for a long time now, not since I had a Lancia........