C5 will not start

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

haggisbasher

C5 will not start

Post by haggisbasher »

Hello all

Looking for some help.

I have 53 C5 diesel Citroen. Last night coming home, I was turning into my drive and the car cut out. Initially I thought the car had stalled but when I went to restart it, the engine didnt turn.

The electrics seem fine, lights, dash lights, indicators. I took the key out locked doors, left it 30 mins, unlocked it put key in and tired the ignition, Absolutely nothing no engine trying to start nothing. lights and electrics still seem fine. The car has now went into economy mode as I have been trying to start the car so often.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Any help appreciated.
C5 2.0 HDi 2003.
KP
My Cars:

Re: C5 will not start

Post by KP »

Model, engine type.. These things help ;)

Sounds like a dodgey connection or earth somewhere that shifted as you moved onto the drive.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

To clarify, does the starter motor turn the engine over, or is there no movement at all?
Jabo
My Cars:

Post by Jabo »

Could be a lot of things - engine seized due to no oil or snapped belt; knackered starter; faulty wiring
2001 Citroen C5 SX 2.0 petrol - Misty Lilac

0-60 MPH Calculator - Android app - https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... zero60full" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Weight Transfer Calculator - Android app - https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... ansfercalc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Jabo wrote:Could be a lot of things - engine seized due to no oil or snapped belt; knackered starter; faulty wiring
or

you could look on the negative side...lol.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
haggisbasher

Post by haggisbasher »

Okay sorry for not responding to these helpful posts. Sorry for not giving all the correct details, but I really am not good with cars. Computers yes, my job, i hope so! :lol: Cars not so hot. My dad said it probably the starter motor or the electric cable going to the starter motor.
KP wrote:Model, engine type.. These things help ;) Sounds like a dodgey connection or earth somewhere that shifted as you moved onto the drive.
The car is 110HDi
Date of First Registration 30 04 2003
Year of Manufacture 2003
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1997cc
CO2 Emissions 147g/Km
Fuel Type HEAVY OIL
dnsey wrote:To clarify, does the starter motor turn the engine over, or is there no movement at all?
The starter motor does nothing, I put the key in the electrics come on, the test lights go out and when i tun the key, all the remaining lights, Stop sign, engine light go out as long as the key is turned. release the key the light on the dash comes back on.

Car was serviced last month, belt is fine, I checked that.
KP wrote:Model, engine type.. These things help ;)

Sounds like a dodgey connection or earth somewhere that shifted as you moved onto the drive.
C5 2.0 HDi 2003.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Sounds like battery or battery connections, if there's corrosion on the battery terminals it can provide enough power to light up the dash but when you apply the starter load it's too much for the poor connection and everything goes off.

Disconnect the terminals and give them a good scrape clean and try again if that doesn't work it's down to deciding if the battery's died or the starter motor has a short circuit.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Before disconnecting the battery, read this.
Tiresome but can help to avoid further problems.

Also, try smacking the starter with a lump of wood, could be the solenoid stuck, will only be a temporary measure but will indicate the problem for you.
haggisbasher

Post by haggisbasher »

Gibbo2286 wrote:Sounds like battery or battery connections, if there's corrosion on the battery terminals it can provide enough power to light up the dash but when you apply the starter load it's too much for the poor connection and everything goes off.

Disconnect the terminals and give them a good scrape clean and try again if that doesn't work it's down to deciding if the battery's died or the starter motor has a short circuit.
Strangely I went out to look at the alternator and battery today. Unfortunately I had nothing to check the battery with, but stripped the terminals back and cleaned them then regreased them, still nada, I looked at the earthing lead and its clean so are the cables coming in and out of the alternator.
myglaren wrote: Also, try smacking the starter with a lump of wood, could be the solenoid stuck, will only be a temporary measure but will indicate the problem for you.
HMM can I leave that one to the garage? Id hit the wrong thing. Id be like basil faulty thrashing his car at the side of the road, they would lock me up.

Cheers all for the help so far, I think the solenoid is buggered or the starter or the battery. I will find out and let you all know, so the next poor sod who has the same quirk as me can know what to do. Cant say its been a bad car 130,000 miles and only ever needed wear and tear stuff.
C5 2.0 HDi 2003.
davie206

Post by davie206 »

did you ever find out what the fault was with this car ?