New cat for £900

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

captaintau
My Cars:

New cat for £900

Post by captaintau »

I was the Citroen dealer today getting a new key and fob and asked them to clear my error codes at the same time since they'd be connecting to the car computer. They tell me that the fault codes indicate the need for a new catalytic converter, at £936.28. I think not. Other options?
Chlorate
My Cars:

Re: New cat for £900

Post by Chlorate »

There's a reason people call them stealerships. Was that parts cost or parts and labour?

Try eBay? It'd be a bit of a messy faff to fit yourself but not impossible. Worth having a bucket of nuts and bolts handy, they're a bit hot and exposed under there and tend to stick together.
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

That sounds quite cheap, a new cat from the dealer for a xsara vts is £1400 + vat :shock: yes thats just for the part !
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

It would be helpful to know what car we're talking about here, and its age... ;)

I wouldn't replace a cat just based on a one off fault code reading, however if you're worried it might be worth booking it in for an emissions test, (I'm assuming a garage will do an MOT emissions test for you separate from an MOT) and see if it passes. If it passes with a healthy margin (CO, HC less than 1/5 of the allowed amounts) then I wouldn't worry about any fault codes unless the EML light is also lit because of it.

If it fails or only barely passes (say CO 0.4%) then they're probably right...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
lankytim
My Cars:

Post by lankytim »

Do you get a reach around for that?
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

lankytim wrote:Do you get a reach around for that?
:lol:

And a cuddle afterwards I'd hope!
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
captaintau
My Cars:

Post by captaintau »

Mandrake wrote:It would be helpful to know what car we're talking about here, and its age... ;)
:oops:

C5 2L petrol estate. 51 plate.

I have no problems with the car, just the fault light that only starts halfway down the M40, never on shorter journeys.
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

An aftermarket cat could be done for around £250 I should think, if it is the original one, it's probably better than a new pattern one, it is possible to have the fault code mapped out of the ECU , this would be a cheaper option.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
Jabo
My Cars:

Post by Jabo »

captaintau wrote:
Mandrake wrote:It would be helpful to know what car we're talking about here, and its age... ;)
:oops:

C5 2L petrol estate. 51 plate.

I have no problems with the car, just the fault light that only starts halfway down the M40, never on shorter journeys.
Same engine here. Had the car for 3 years, every once in a while (maybe every 6 months) I'll get a 'Catalytic Converter Fault' error message on the dash when starting and the engine will be running in either limp mode or not on 4 cylinders, either way it won't rev right. After some idling it eventually clears and is fine and the car passes MOT's with no emissions issues.

Also, if you have some patience and ramps you can go under the car and saw out the cat and fit a replacement with clamps and sleeves. You can get a brand new, universal sports cat on eBay right now for £84.
2001 Citroen C5 SX 2.0 petrol - Misty Lilac

0-60 MPH Calculator - Android app - https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... zero60full" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Weight Transfer Calculator - Android app - https://market.android.com/details?id=c ... ansfercalc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-C5-2- ... 4610f6df94" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Our Siamese cost more than that.
captaintau
My Cars:

Post by captaintau »

Thanks for the replies. Since the car is performing well I shall await the MOT and go from there