Help needed ... got a leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Help needed ... got a leak

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Where are you based? If you are near to Reading I have a 1m flexi claw that might do the job.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Mike, the coolant supply pipe for the turbo starts out nowhere near the turbo. It starts in the vicinity of your leak here there's a right-angled rubber section.

Cloth in the inlet eh? Fun!

Getting the top turbo pipe off is not too bad. The trick is to release the jubilee clip from the side of the turbo and sometimes they're not well placed to access with the engine in the car. Off-times a 7mm nut driver on a flexible shaft will do the trick. Once that jubilee clip is loose the rest is plain sailing.

The hot (Ally) turbo pipe can be fun as it has the oil and coolant feed pipes bolted to it underneath.

Mind you, popping off the tip turbo pipe will give good visibility of coolant pipes and may reveal the source of your leak so perhaps it's not such an ill wind..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Re the kitchen towel... been there, done that.... :lol: Changing the glow plugs on a BX TD, stuffed a bit in the end of the intake manifold, then cranked it to see if would start. Of the kitchen towel no sign.... #-o Put it all back together and it was still reluctant to start (the fault I was chasing ended up being an air leak on fuel filter due to some numpty - see above re the kitchen towel :wink: - managing to fit two sealing rings to the filter when he changed it) - eventually it was coaxed into life, and responded with a huge cloud of partly burnt diesel, with small bits of shredded / burnt kitchen towel fluttering in it..... :-D Went fine for another good 40k before I moved it on. So I wouldn't worry too much about it, it will have been injested by now, and will burn off / be ejected via the exhaust =P~
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

RichardW wrote:Went fine for another good 40k before I moved it on. So I wouldn't worry too much about it, it will have been injested by now, and will burn off / be ejected via the exhaust =P~
Ahh well, all's good that ends well Richard :-D It didn't throw in the towel then?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Have you found the leek yet Mike?
Is it anything like this one? :twisted:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote:Have you found the leek yet Mike?
Is it anything like this one? :twisted:
=D> :roll: :lol:

That's really quite funny...
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

It's from here.
VertVega will know all about this :)
ecohouse1
My Cars: Rover 75 CDT TourerAuto , , Mercedes 190E 1.8 1993, 2CV6 Special 1987, Peugeot 206 1.1 2001. Repairs and maintenance of two Hyundai i10s
Deceased
Xantia TD Estate 1999 (now with Chris Morewood)
Xsara 1.9D Saloon
BXTZD Break
BXTGD Hatch
Peugeot 309 1.9D
Various 2CVs
Porsche 924 lux
Porsche 924S
Renault Clio 1.4 Auto
GSA Pallas
Triumph Herald 1200

Post by ecohouse1 »

Not meaning to be the purveyor of doom but could it be the head gasket going and leaking externally? :cry: Not sure if that is the way they fail on that unit?
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Are there any core plugs on that end of the head ?
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
Chlorate
My Cars:

Post by Chlorate »

Depends, you wouldn't get much of a look in with a fair coolant leak.

If it's something particularly bad like a cracked block or what have you then it'd make a good project for someone for spares money. But if it's something like a core plug or a leaky hose or joint somewhere someone would be set to make a fair profit for not much work.

I really wouldn't think it'd be a head gasket failure, they tend to fail around bits that get particularly hot first; like between cylinders or between the cylinder and coolant jacket. If things were so bad that coolant was p!ssing out between the head and the block there'd probably be a few more problems...

Although I do notice you're not exactly short of Xantiae at the moment, and are even blessed with a spare Activa!
Citroen Xantia Exclusive HDi

previously:
Citroen ZX Volcane - RIP
Peugeot 106 XN... stolen and destroyed by Kent Police :evil:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Mike, I've an Activa head on the bench at the moment so later I'll check the locations of core plugs and so on.

The drain Chris speaks of is high on the LH side of the bulkhead and drains the heater plenum. It looks like a little elephants trunk.

Here’s a puccy of it.

This one is minus its little rubber elephant trunk as it was broken and allowing AC condensate to run inside the car. I glued and sleeved it in-situ...
Jim

VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

it seems that it's coming from above, somewhere around the thermostat housing. As I said earlier the transparency of the drop, is suggesting that it's coolant not engine oil, not gearbox oil, Also not heater matrix failure, the location is wrong. I think that's good news. Another good news is that CitroJim has a same kind of car on the bench at the moment 8-)

Did you try with bare hand under the thermostat housing? Try it before engine and coolant gets too hot.

Flywheel is not wet all the way. I guess it's a seal or loose plug up there.

C5 II 2.0i 16V - 2005 - Estate - 103KW - EW10A - Petrol - Manual
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

myglaren wrote:VertVega will know all about this :)
Sure he does :lol: :lol: :lol:
myglaren you keep surprising me with your knowledge of Nordic special information 8-)
Here's a longer version of the same melody.
Warning it is five hours (5:00:00 hours) ---> " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You might like this version of Säkkijärven Polkka which is performed by two Swedish men in Aug. 2010.

"Säkkijärven polkka
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Säkkijärven polkka ("the Säkkijärvi polka") is a well-known folk tune from Finland, popular with Finnish accordionists to the extent that it can be called their national anthem. It was especially popularized by Viljo "Vili" Vesterinen (1907–1961). The tune was first recorded in Säkkijärvi (now Kondratyevo in the Leningrad Oblast, Russia), and the words sometimes sung to the tune point out that Säkkijärvi itself might have been lost, but that Finns could at least keep the polka."

PS: Sorry superloopy, this went off topic.
Last edited by VertVega on 21 Aug 2013, 19:23, edited 1 time in total.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

One version of the Leekspin song - Loituma original, runs for 24 hours :)

De låter som västkustsgubbar!

Önskar Jag hade kvar mina Cornelis Vreeswijk skivor :)
VertVega
My Cars:

Post by VertVega »

24 hours :shock: That IS exhausting =D>

superloopy do you have access to service pages? If not tell your engine (is it 2.0 8V or V6?) and I can add pic of the parts we are checking for. Even better PM your VIN code to me.