Fuel leak from engine, 2001 Xantia HDi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lankytim
My Cars:

Fuel leak from engine, 2001 Xantia HDi

Post by lankytim »

Hi all,

I've noticed that my beloved Xantia has started to spot a little bit of diesel under the engine, it drips from the sump plug but has obviously run down from somewhere higher up. The HP pump seems dry and the leak seems to be from the rear of the engine somewhere. Another point is the fuel rain seems to be damp at one end, although this could be a little oil from the leaky rocker gasket!

Any ideas? #-o
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Re: Fuel leak from engine, 2001 Xantia HDi

Post by Chris570 »

Hmm, all of the fuel is at the front of the engine (unless it's leaking from the supply which comes up the bulkhead) It's more likely though its at the front as thats where all the joins are. Best advise is to give it a clean up and start her up and watch carefully. (Mine developed a leak from the pump to common rail pipe which only dripped every now and then)
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
lankytim
My Cars:

Post by lankytim »

I've had a poke about and haven't found anything obvious that loos like it's leaking. All the unions on the fuel rail seemed quite loose and could be easily tightened half a turn. The commute home will reveal all!
lankytim
My Cars:

Post by lankytim »

Fired her up for the long drive home and there was fuel pouring out all over the place! What have I done??

When I was tinkering earlier on I checked the fuel filter drain plug to make sure it was tight, turns out the small rubber O ring had gone brittle and when I tightened it up it split all together. Fortunately I work at a car restoration business and a new O ring was quickly on hand. Job done!

All that drama for a piece of rubber worth £0.001 or something!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Tim, you were lucky to have a substitute '' ring to hand. I'm sure that a few members have found them to be unavailable from Citroen dealers and have resorted to other more bodgy methods of sealing the filter housing.