Steamed up windows

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gavin1

Steamed up windows

Post by Gavin1 »

With the colder weather having arrived - I've started using the heater / window demister on my 94 TD Xantia for the first time in a while. I'm finding that far from demisting the windows it steams them up! I have a feeling that the heater matrix is leaking - I've tried putting some leak fix into the coolant but it doesn't appear to have had much effect - Has anyone tried changing the heater matrix, what does it involve?
Cheers Gavin
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Gavin -
Do you have the unmistakenly smell of coolant too ??
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

If you've got A/C, turn it on. Works wonders with steamed up windows in winter.
//NiSk
blueboy2001

Post by blueboy2001 »

If its got a pollen filter, change it. Had this problem on a mates Astra and found the pollen filter all clogged up to be the cause.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Bad news Gavin, It sound like your heater matrix has got a leak. Its fairly common to find your windows steaming up when it has started to leak. Big Tip,save your money and DON'T buy radweld, barrs leaks and the rest as they will Not sort out the problem. Only replacing the matrix will solve the problem.
I had the same problem on my Xantia TD a couple of years ago. The main problem is that the matrix fills up with sediment and finally starts to leak.
I changed the matrix myself, following the haynes manual. It was a daunting task, but not as bad as I thought. Started at 10am, had the car back together by 6pm, job done. Another tip is make sure you have either some box spanners or long sockets as you will need the to remove the dashboard from within the engine bay.
Get the matrix from Andyspares and make sure you order a couple of 'O'rings for the fitting that attaches the matrix back to the hoses.
Best Regards,
Paul.
PS no beer should be allowed near the scene of crime until you have finnished[^]
citroen al
My Cars:

Post by citroen al »

I have to agree with wrinklet pretty much the dreaded heater matrix looked the book time 11.5hrs (no A/C) - 13.5hrs (with A/C)
we have had moderate sucess using "FORTE" stop leak (not the answer just a cheap solution sometimes !!!)
I would recomend a very thorough flushing using a neutralising fluid !!! then depends where you live a "FORTE" Cooling system conditioner.
We are in a hardwater area and these heater matrix's a a really common occurance so we ofter use distilled water (not expensive)and a quality antifreeze...
I belive "Wynns" make a similar New Technology Stop leak thats more easily available to the general public !!!!
Regards
Alan
ericthebluet

Post by ericthebluet »

I had the same problem on my 1995 Xantia about 3 years ago. One can of Radweld (or similar, I can't remember) sorted the problem. Everything has worked fine since.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

I tried all the usual measures to stop the leak, but really I was trying to put the inevitable off really.
3 bottles of Radweld/barrsleaks/egg white/whot ever else and still had to do it. Was quoted £300 from Citroen.....B*ll***s I said
Paul
franciscolunn
My Cars:

Post by franciscolunn »

Just a thought do you have a circulating lever on your dashboard if its set to recycle air internally your car will mist up in bad weather,i made that mistake on a long wet drive in my XM and suddenly realised wot was going on pushed the lever to other position and it all cleared,judging by other posts and costs involved best check the easy stuff first.
civvie
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: different types over the years.when younger
Peugeot 405 estate
xantia estste 1.9d
c5 2.2 hdi hatchback
Peugeot 3008 1.6 hdi
Hyundai tuscon

Post by civvie »

Might be an idea to check to see if there is any wetness under the mats.
This could add to the problems.
Steve
lhm_leak
My Cars:

Post by lhm_leak »

I would agree with franciscolunn - check the recirculation lever first. My '95 Xantia TD mists horribly in wet weather if it's in the wrong position, and clears like magic when set to fresh air!
puddle jumper
My Cars:

Post by puddle jumper »

Franciscolunn -- I had trouble with the circulating lever. the lever moved as normal but when I took it apart the inner cabe had a u bendin it so the flap was not opening - this caused the symptoms Gavin1 described - I bent the cable straight and it works ok now as long as you don't rush it when moving the lever. As it had always worked ok before and I don't use it that often I can only think I bent it by moving the lever to quickly
louis1
My Cars:

Post by louis1 »

I have a 1998 xantia V6 and it smells of anti freeze when i first put the heater on, but once it has started to blow out the smell stops, it has used no water at all over the last 10,000 miles. What would you say that it was? (the car had been siting for 1 year without being used)
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Generally if it smells of antifreeze the heater matrix has gone. I suppose a possibility is that its been repaired in the past and the housing wasn't cleaned properly and that there is still something in there which smells.
Do the Xantia air conditioning systems have drains to let the condensed water out? Could some steaming problems be caused when these block? I seem to remember problems with my Jaguar XJ6 when these tubes blocked and even got my leg drenched with freezing water one day.
Jeremy
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jeremy</i>

Do the Xantia air conditioning systems have drains to let the condensed water out?
Jeremy
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yes! When the A/c is on and the car is parked, it leaves quite a puddle behind. Very worrying, first time you see it!