increasing Xantia life !

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

increasing Xantia life !

Post by froggy »

Hi, Whats the best product to apply to the underside of my series 1 Xantia ? to help keep the dreaded rust at bay. cheers Terry. :?:
Terry
Xantia TD lx series1 SORN
Peugeot 306 meridian [ the boss]
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Re: increasing Xantia life !

Post by Stewart(oily) »

I generally blow some Waxoyl around under mine, plenty on the pipework and in the nooks, worked so far.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
oscar
Location: London near that big building with the flashing light!
My Cars: 2001 Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi

Post by oscar »

Well you have the best one already nice and cheap used engine oil just paint it on works best or WD40 thats fish oil. Waxoyl's a mixed bag.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I also use cheap engine oil, I spray it on using a Shutz gun and an empty container, you need a compressor of course, done once a year keeps it quite oily underneath. You need to get plenty of oil into the sills, you can do this by removing a couple of tread plate screws and squirting it into the holes, an oil can full in each sill should do it.

Peter
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Does lhm work?! There's been a lot of that about my car, but the drops on the road dry really quickly whereas engine oil stains for months.
Fred, a silver 1998 1.9TD SX Xantia.
Gwin, a white 1994 1.1 AX.
reanimation
My Cars: Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI Desire
Xantia ph1 1.9d (sadly gone forever)

Post by reanimation »

Isn't used engine oil dangerous, carcinogenic ? It's a good question though, not all of is is galvanised! :-/
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Jaf wrote:Does lhm work?! There's been a lot of that about my car, but the drops on the road dry really quickly whereas engine oil stains for months.
My old leaky BXes never had any rot where the leaks got to, I might blow some into the sills :)
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

No, only use new oil, cheap stuff is fine.
oscar
Location: London near that big building with the flashing light!
My Cars: 2001 Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi

Post by oscar »

Well 99% of motor cars stuff is carcinogenic and you shouldn't be drinking or chewing it anyway.fuel is carcinogenic as the stuff in unleaded is !!!.
Firm i used to drive truck i picked a few drums up from an import to uk delivery of toluene which was smelling awfull and i said about it as know that it's in petrol and bad gear they checked it while i was on the road and said it wasn't same one? as if it had i'd have been dead by then as just breathing it in is enough and they have had so many problems with unleaded destroying fuel lines/tanks so some pretty bad crap in it.Ducati M'cycles for one.
But never been that keen on waxoyl as in hot weather it runs outta holes you have put it in and don't seem to really stop rust there was a thing about it many years ago when it was the "rage"

Here's a funny one for you if you have a felt tip pen you don't need any regs but if you carry a large box/case etc you need to carry Haz documents for them in the cab and if you carry a pallet etc has to go under Hazchem plates from and rear and Hazchem trained driver with all the PPP equipment.
We used to carry explosives for Iceland quite often and have to think where you can and can't go ie tunnels etc.
Worked for a parcel firm once one had an accident with brake problems plod wanted to know what he was carrying To which he said tinned pink elephants he wanted to nick the driver as thought he was taking the pee so rang T manager and he said same thing in the end had to convince that was what was in the boxes. the place we picked up from did those things they put in cocktails and was little pink elephants on a stick.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

:-D
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

ive waxoyled my BX and the wife's fiat, made use of the 2 poster ramp at the garage in the wet bay, Steamed them off at 7am on a saturday, left them to dry whilst working till lunchtime, air lined them off and then liberally sprayed the waxoyl onto the bottoms and into any holes, mixed with whitespirirt which is supposed to help it 'creep' into the metal?? but put 2 1/2 L onto each car (5L trade tin used on both)and up unto last year neither needed any work, the fiats fallen ill to tin worm but on water traps, the BX has been off the road for a few years, but was still solid last time it was used,
i picked up a tin of Tetroseal underbody sealant Years back from the wholesalers for under a tenner, cleaned up the dirt on the bx one year and reapplied it by hand to the whole underside, seems to have worked well!!
If youve the patience, and more the tools! its worth doing IMO, but it can be a Messy job!! - the garage we used a boilersuit, beanie hat, Goggles and Darthvader stylee breating gear!! the boiler suit was So waterepellant with waxoyl the thing would stand by itself! :-D otherwise, Many many pairs of dispo gloves or hands in carrier bagsto hold the brushes! ;-)
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

The problem with waxoil is that it can set before it gets into the seams especially in cold weather, which is where rust usually starts. Oil on the other hand continues to creep into all the nooks and crannies. Waxoil is good on flat surfaces, oil tends to soak into any mud that is deposited onto it and then falls off, if you can fill all the cavities with oil it will continue to creep and protect the metal well after you have applied it. I have been doing this since the 1950s so I know it works :wink:

Peter
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Anything that takes 50+ years to apply, will have a limited number of users.
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Nice one Addo :lol: :lol:

I've used Waxoyl in the past, but then after a few years found it peeling off a suspension outrigger along with flakey rust. Had originally applied it on to surface rust. So I'm with Peter on this. I now use waste engine oil (marks the drive if it drips though :( )
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Re:

Post by Peter.N. »

addo wrote:Anything that takes 50+ years to apply, will have a limited number of users.
:-D =D>