C5 Auto Transmission - problem developing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

frenchcarnut

Re: C5 Auto Transmission - problem developing

Post by frenchcarnut »

Thanks for the tips Terry,

Just when I'm about to throw the towel in, people come on here and give me the courage to carry on :-D

Should've realised the drive position on the selector but can't think with heavy traffic going past the car.

I'll let you know how I get on

Thanks

Ian

PS - Don't be too disappointed but bought the wife a Toyota IQ over the weekend :mrgreen: :oops: 8-[ At least she can get to work in a quirky little Noddy car while I work on the real one :-D
Clogzz wrote:Hi Ian,

The filler plug is easiest to reach with the selector in drive.
The plug is 8 mm square; I used a door lock shaft with a nut welded onto it.

A rough check of the transmission oil level, even when parked and at cold, is to look inside the filler hole with a torch to see if the yellow maze sits in the oil.
If it's dry, the level is too low.
If it sits in the oil, then there's enough of it.

Best wishes. :)

Image Image
Image Image
04 C5 2.0 Auto HDi VTR
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Don't be too disappointed
:mrgreen:

No risk of disappointment, mine bought a new Mazda 2 in June.
I'm waiting for the C5 to cark it in a very expensive way to send it for wrecking. :evil:
That'll be the end of Citroëns for me here, we get ripped off for parts in the distant colonies.
I'm thinking of a Suzuki SX4 with front-wheel-drive only and conventional 4-speed automatic.

:)
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
frenchcarnut

Post by frenchcarnut »

Clogzz wrote:I'm waiting for the C5 to cark it in a very expensive way to send it for wrecking. :evil:
That'll be the end of Citroëns for me here, we get ripped off for parts in the distant colonies.
Well, mine's very nearly there. Just need it to limp to the finishing line at the end of March 2014. Looking at resale value versus upcoming costs makes you want to laugh (or indeed cry). Not to mention that the first generation C5s aren't classic lookers for worthwhile mothballing either - although some might argue differently.

I might go for a facelift manual with a towbar next year, just because you get a lot of car for your money, but if I go for something newer, then it'll be something with a bit of genuine resale value and hence won't be a Citroen.

One thing I will say though: I loved my old MK I Xantia and still have fond memories of it. This C5 I have, for me, has not been very inspiring. The Xantia had panache, a lovely ride and was easy to park. The C5 has been much more perfunctory.
04 C5 2.0 Auto HDi VTR
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

frenchcarnut wrote:Okay people, I'm a bit confused with the AL4 drain and level situation. Would be grateful if someone can tell me what's going on:

Here, from a diagram at a Peugeot forum is an image showing the AL4 with a dual drainer and leveller plug I was expecting on mine:

But if you look at my actual AL4, there is only a drain plug and no leveller and not where I'd expect to see them.

So, is this going to be a drain and refill only with a predetermined amount?

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but couldn't find the thread.
If it is a later model that only appears to have a drain plug like in the picture that is actually the level plug, when you take out the level plug there is a tube screwed in side the hole that comes out with an Allen key to drain the box.
frenchcarnut

Post by frenchcarnut »

wheeler wrote:If it is a later model that only appears to have a drain plug like in the picture that is actually the level plug, when you take out the level plug there is a tube screwed in side the hole that comes out with an Allen key to drain the box.
Thanks Wheeler.

Amazing. I wouldn't have got that from the conversation I had with Citroen parts in Brum yesterday after I went in for more bottles of ATF. I was explaining my dilemma, as outlined in this thread, and they said nothing, just agreed. I remember when these people used to be really helpful :-/
04 C5 2.0 Auto HDi VTR