Berlingo won't start?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Tarquin

Berlingo won't start?

Post by Tarquin »

A sunny afternoon having done a couple of local trips and all of a sudden my Berlingo Van (Y Reg) refuses to start. First try and it fires once but subsequent attempts and the starter just works away without success.
The only thing that I know I done differently was to hurriedly leap into the drivers seat, depress the clutch and turn the ignition key in one very rapid move! I was in a hurry
Suggestions are that it's the immobiliser? The glowplugs have been replaced.
Any help/advice appreciated.
Thanks
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

The electric fuel pump in the fuel tank can give problems on both the 2.0 HDI and 1.9 IDI, might be worth a look.
The immobilisers don't seem to give trouble and the glow plugs only work when the air temp is below freezing.
Check as well the cam belt hasn't snapped, you never know.
Yours is the HDI isn't it?
Tarquin

Post by Tarquin »

Thanks Dave, Yes it's the HDi. The immediacy of the breakdown and complete lack or response (every time I try it it fires the very first time once and no more)is, I am told by the local Citroen dealer likely to be an engine management/imobilser/key problem? Sounds expensive to me! I'll check the fuel pump tomorrow....
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

turning on the ignition & starting very quickly can sometimes cause the transponder imobiliser to play up on all Citroen/peugeot's.the engine will turn over but not start (sometimes acompanied by the transponder/key light flashing).its just a case of switching the ign off for a few seconds then back on slowly to sort it.
The fact that the van fires once at first sugests to me the imobiliser is ruled out.my guess is also the low pressure in tank fuel pump (if it's a bosch injection system that is).you should be able to hear it buzzing for a second or two when the ignition is switched on,if you cant hear it get someone to try and start it while you reach under & bang the bottom of the fuel tank with a rubber mallet roughly where the pump sits,this can sometimes get it going again (temporary).
dave,i don't think the 1.9's have electric fuel pumps.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Have a look at the stop solenoid on the fuel pump. That can cause your problem.
Paul
Tarquin

Post by Tarquin »

Thanks all. It was the fuel pump as suggested[:(!]
Haven't had the bill yet but don't expect it to be cheap! OUCH[xx(]