It's alive!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RustyUK
My Cars: Citroen C5 X7 2.0 Hdi Saloon
Toyota Aygo (C1/107!)
Dodge Caliber SXT 1.8 (for sale...)

It's alive!

Post by RustyUK »

It's alive! Long live the C5!

My project this year came to a successful conclusion today. I'm not a hugely regular poster here so to recap, after fuelling problems, leaky power steering, suspected gasket failure and eventually a failed clutch release bearing / DMF over Christmas, in spring I took the engine out of my 2.2HDi MK1 C5 and began an overhaul. As you do. Time has been against me, and I can only work at my mother's house, which has a big enough garage.

Oh yeah, I'm not a mechanic - I work in IT. But I much much rather doing something with my hands, and I'll turn my hand to almost anything.

The head was stripped, valves cleaned and re-lapped, head and cam cover thoroughly de-gunked (using, er, Gunk!) - airways were quite badly restricted from years of oil seepage from turbo and EGR crud. New belts, waterpump, gasket, DMF, clutch, injector nozzle, HP pump regulator, timing chain/tensioner, new (from scrappers) power steering hoses due to leaky unions, valve seals, sump removed and cleaned/resealed and a bunch of other stuff I can't even remember. I gave up keeping check on the budget. It was a labour of love.

Finally everything back together. Initial turn of the key yielded crank but no start. After consulting the lexia and some missing photos, I'd reversed the crank sensor plug with one that fits to an electrovalve on the air filter housing. Oops. Fixed that, and it fired up on the turn of the key!

I owe a thank you to this forum. A lot of knowledge and inspiration can be gleaned simply from searching past posts. This site is simply wonderful, so thank you all!

The only worrying aspect was, after warming up, vast volumes of steam from the exhaust. But I put this down to the DPF being saturated still. I had jetwashed it out weeks ago, and assume it's a porus material that had absorbed water. Eventually the steam stopped and there's no visible emissions now even under revs. Indeed, the emissions are so clean you can put your nose to the exhaust and barely detect anything :) (Not that I spend my time sniffing exhausts).

MOT next!

If all remains well, then after a holiday end of this month I'll get the turbo serviced, and replace the radiator and aircon condensor. The fins in these are turning to dust, quite literally. And try to figure out once and for all why my radiator fan is on all the time...
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Re: It's alive!

Post by Stempy »

It's nice when a plan comes together :clap:
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Well done, well done. :-D :-D :-D
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Its as great feeling when a citroen that has been in a thousand pieces fires up and then rises on its suspension :wink:
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

Well done to do all that work with an IT background. Lets hope it repays you and runs for a good few years to come.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink: