Not getting 12v

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

oscar
Location: London near that big building with the flashing light!
My Cars: 2001 Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi

Not getting 12v

Post by oscar »

Hi have a slight problem with R/H front side light fitting only getting 11v ish tried from in plug and earth so it's outside light fitting! the L/H one is ok.
Could it be a relay?
I pulled it all a part before Grill/bumper/lights etc etc didnt find then put it all back still the same then all of a sudden it was bright again well for a while.(using led's very bright ones) but then it went off colour again (they go more purpley/blue if less than 12v)
So ive checked the H/light earths but it's before that anyway which was why i thought relay maybe do they use one each or do they share?
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: Not getting 12v

Post by wheeler »

The model & year of the car might help ?
oscar

Post by oscar »

Hi oop's forgot that one! Mk1 Xantia 96/97 TD estate LX a/c.
the 2 places i thought was relays or stalk maybe ie contacts?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Did you test it across the leads or from live to earth? If not try it, could be a bad earth.

Peter
oscar

Post by oscar »

Hi Peter i plugged leads from multi meter into the ends of the multi plug that plugs into back of H/light then earthed it to body etc tried a whole multitude of ways inc fittings inside headlight but still same volts which made me think relay area if that's where they go before tracing into wires? ie broken one as it did come on full for a while after messed about with it but broken wire would flicker also?
I put it all back together (thought kick the car) then all of a sudden saw it was bright but now back to less than 12v as you see led is more a purple/blue where as other side is bright white.

Make the car stand out not as bright as H light but way brighter than normal bulb. i have leds all round

So where do you suggest next?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Very strange, presumably the bulb was across the supply when you measured it and I assume that the voltage reading was the same with the negative lead on an earth connection. Looking at the diagram the lights do appear to be fed from different fuses, one side from fuse 4 and the other from fuse 9, if this is correct and there is no guarantee with citroen fuses, you need to check the voltage on the fuses. That should tell you which side of the fuse the problem is, if its not a bad contact on the fuse itself. As far as I can see there are no relays in the sidelight circuit.

Peter
oscar

Post by oscar »

Hi yes i tried earth in the wires in plug plus to body.
I didnt have bulb across wires but used multi meter which gives me many readings and poked in most of the pins to see what i was getting it just seemed weird to get that volts as like you i thought maybe earth problem my friend that whose retired from meching now said earth but tried all of those out and said if plug coming in is not right volts it can't be earth to headlight.
are those fuses under dash or in that little box tucked under bonnet? i will have a poke around soon once done mot and not raining.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I would think under the dash but you could check both. The odd thing about this is that if you only getting 11 volts with no load (bulb absent) there must be a very high resistance in the circuit which would cause the bulb not to light at all unless the resistance drops when you apply a load. Anyway check the fuses and see what you have.

Peter
oscar

Post by oscar »

Hi peter will be having a poke round tomorrow probably find myself some wire also to check areas out.
Another thing if you have diagrams there what wire on the plug on thermo housing can i bridge with run to a switch to have fans running when getting hot? as my head gasket isn't fantastic gets warm when going up hill and when weathers been like it has been so would rather be able to run for a while to save it as you can pull plug off and fans go full on unless to know a better area to splice into?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

The fan circuit is a bit complicated I will have a look. If you don't have any luck with your sidelight fault, run a wire across from the other sidelight.

Peter
oscar

Post by oscar »

Hi did notice last night that it was flicking on and off some of the leds as made in banks of them it isn't the leds it's volt's doing that has had before one old ones