Mixed day in the "office" new spheres and exhaust fix

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Mixed day in the "office" new spheres and exhaust fix

Post by rory_perrett »

After the success of the crank pulley change I decided to treat the old girl to a full set of new spheres. The newest of the ones that were on had been on over 3 years and the best part of 100k miles and I suspect the rear centre sphere (Hydractive) was an original as it was one of those funny C5 type grey things. As normal the rear wheel cylinder spheres put up an epic fight to stay attached to the car and the rear center one was a bit of a 'mare as my trusty home made sphere tool didn't work on the different shaped sphere. So about an hour to change the lot.

Does anyone know why some spurt LHM all over the show when remove and some don't, I seem to remember someone telling me that that was the sign of a ruptured diaphram in the sphere, or is just residual pressure in the system?

Did the "10 min mod" while I was messing about as well.

Then the fun and games started, noticed that the middle exhaust pipe was cracked just infront of the rear clamp. The exhaust had been rattling and sounding blowy for a while but I thought it was just the clamp needing a tighten. Took the clamp off to see what was going on while I had the back of the car in the air and most of the flange came away with it. At the moment I have the one piece front section on the car and I really hate having to undo the front bolts to the manifold so decided to fix it in situ rather than put my spare 2 piece of my old 2.1td on. To help access I took off the rear subframe tie bar so I could drop the exhaust right down. 3 of the tie bar bolts put up a bit of a fight and the 4th decided to shear - oh c*@K.

So I spent another 2 hours reconstructing a new flange on the exhaust and extracting the broken bolt. Still all good fun and the new flange turn out quite well.

Today its like I have new car, super smooth ride, no engine rattle from the pulley, no exhaust rattle or blow. Only thing on the list now is a suspected failing nearside rear arm bearing, but at least the rear sphere should come off ok this time.

Happy Xantering one and all.
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Re: Mixed day in the "office" new spheres and exhaust fix

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Nice to get a few jobs out of the way, my own front end rattle is coming from the wrong side, perhaps I could turn the engine around. :)
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

rory_perrett wrote:The newest of the ones that were on had been on over 3 years and the best part of 100k miles
Jesus wept, that's some going. I had 6 recon spheres fitted to mine 5 years ago, nearly 50k miles, and the ride is still very good.

How much did the new ones cost?