sticking boot lock

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

froggy
Donor 2023
My Cars: S2 Xantia Forte 185435.
Peugeot 306 Meridian, the boss.

sticking boot lock

Post by froggy »

Hi, on my 1996 Xantia, the boot lock sticks in! everytime I push it to open the boot. anybody know what"s the best product to lubricate it? cheers Terry.
Terry
Xantia TD lx series1 SORN
Peugeot 306 meridian [ the boss]
Xantia HDI Forte 1997 CC
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Re: sticking boot lock

Post by Old-Guy »

I think the usual problem is the dirty and in winter, salty, spray swirled around in the cars wake at any speed. My personal standard remedy is to clean the button exterior as much as possible, then a good squirt of WD40 (kitchen roll at the ready to mop up the surplus), work the button half-a-dozen times, wipe off the dirty WD40, squirt, work, wipe, until the button is nice and free. Then repeat for the key slot, paying great attention to mopping up as much off the WD40 as possible using cotton rag (you do not want to leave a bit of paper inside the lock barrel!). Excess WD40 simply attract dry dirt and dust. It's possible to buy aerosols of 'dry' PTFE lubricants, but IMHO there's no alternative to an annual clean. While I'm at it and the key's all 'oily', do the front door buttons and lock barrels too against the day when the plipper battery is flat!
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

A bit hard to find in the UK, (I've had to order online to replace a 4 year old can I brought with me from NZ that finally ran out :lol: ) but I highly recommend LPS 1 for these sort of tasks:

http://www.lpslabs.com/product-details/560" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A penetrating grease-less lubricant that leaves a thin film behind in the mechanism, displaces water and doesn't attract dust. Also very good at freeing rusted nuts and bolts (and suspension spheres rusted to cylinders :twisted: ) and cleaning oxidised electrical connectors, switches, potentiometers etc... so handy to have around. Far superior to WD40 IMHO.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
oscar
Location: London near that big building with the flashing light!
My Cars: 2001 Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi

Post by oscar »

WD40 is made of fish oil and great for fishing also spray the bait and if using braid like me up the line before casting.

what i would do is remove lock clean all crap out that accumulates in slidey tube then go to a lock shop and get some graphite power to lube lock with and as you have tumbler out easy to do they do various types some in a light oil or in an applicator.
you can dip key in some to do other locks but door locks come out easy by little rubber button down side of doors near lock then push something like a screwdriver in and it comes out.
But if you don't want to remove just open up hatch/boot/tailgate then pour in and while your at it do locking mech also you can also remove inside panel easy also lube the slider tube as that's where alot of problems start
bonnyman750
My Cars:

Post by bonnyman750 »

Hi Terry,

have a look at my previous post on this subject...

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=40411" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers,

Glyn