C5 reverse gear brake

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

C5 reverse gear brake

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Anyone have any details about the reverse gear braking device on the C5 gearbox?

The third cable from the lever operates a plunger in the side of the box but I can't see what it's supposed to move in the box, the previous owner fitted a clutch and I'm wondering if something's been left out.

Not seen one of these boxes out of the car and looking from underneath is a bit of a challenge.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: C5 reverse gear brake

Post by Peter.N. »

Don't quite understand what you mean by 'reverse gear braking' or is this an auto box?

Peter
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I've changed a clutch on an ML6 box, the third cable just bolts onto the end of the box, there's nothing to remove or fall out (or at least it didn't on the one we did :lol: ). What problem have you got?
Richard W
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

The third cable pulls a plunger back but I can see nothing in the box that it has any effect on and the online manuals show nothing of that detail.

Problem I have (the previous owner was aware) is that to get reverse gear I need to first go for another gear, in effect stopping the gear train from rotating before reverse will go in.

My earlier C5 doesn't have the same box so no third cable or braking device.

I really need to see what's inside the box.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

From the description in Haynes I had assumed it was an interlock cable that prevents selection of reverse unless the appropriate action is taken at the gear lever (not driven one - press down, lift up collar?). Buggered if I can find it on service.citroen though - but I KNOW it's there, 'cos I unbolted it!! The internals of the gearbox show a synchro hub on the reverse shaft, which rather lends credence to it being an interlock rather than brake. Sounds like the clutch might be dragging? Which engine is it?
Richard W
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

My first thought was dragging clutch but it isn't that, it clears as specified when the pedal is 32mm from the floor.

I found this in the data section but I can't find anything else:

Special features
Hydraulic declutch control gearbox .
Gearbox incorporating a reverse gear braking device .
Gearbox incorporating a fifth gear/reverse gear prohibition .

And this referring to the third cable bit:
The reverse gear unlocking device (7)

As for which box I'm really a bit confused, ML5T or ML5C, both have similarities and differences to what's fitted. :( Engine's a 2.0L HDI,car's 2004 registered.

I've been driving it for months like this, it hasn't got any better or any worse but I thought I'd try to sort it while the weather's good.
flying clutchman
My Cars:

Post by flying clutchman »

The plunger can be accessed from the n/s wheel arch. You may have to remove the plastic arch liner, I can't remember. Looking at the gearbox from the wheel arch it's tucked away behind the end casing. The assembly is held in with one screw I think it's a T40. It should pull out with the cable attached. Check that the cable is correctly fitted round the cam.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

flying clutchman wrote:The plunger can be accessed from the n/s wheel arch. You may have to remove the plastic arch liner, I can't remember. Looking at the gearbox from the wheel arch it's tucked away behind the end casing. The assembly is held in with one screw I think it's a T40. It should pull out with the cable attached. Check that the cable is correctly fitted round the cam.
Thanks clutchman I have already had it out and that part is fine, the plunger pulls right back, I just wondered if there was anything inside the box that had fallen/been left out when the guy fitted the clutch that could be the cause, I'm managing on for the time being.