Activa Spheres

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Activa Spheres

Post by DHallworth »

Am going to be changing the spheres on our Activa tomorrow once I've got the ramp cleared in the workshop.

Is there anything I need to watch out for on the Activa that is different to normal Hydrctive sphere changes? IIRC there's something that needs to be depressurised on the Activa system?

Am going to be changing my ram bush at the same time :)

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
Ford Prefect
My Cars:

Re: Sv: Activa Spheres

Post by Ford Prefect »

The Activa circuit needs to be depressed individually - connect a hose on the bleeder on the rear activa block - it will come out 7-8 dl when opening the bleeder.

Skickat från min HTC Desire X via Tapatalk 2
Owns: C5 X7 2.0 BlueHDi Saloon
Previous owned: C4 Picasso, XM (rebuilt to a Pick-up), Xantia TCT Activa, C5 2.0 SX Breake, Xantia 2.0 16 Valve Breake, SAAB 900, Audi 80, SAAB 99
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Re: Activa Spheres

Post by DHallworth »

I'd forgotten there was one under the battery box!

On a normal Xantia it's easy to tell which sphere is which, at the rear you've got the two corners, centre sphere and the one with the pipe going into it for the anti sink. Is there any way to tell the Activa sphere apart from the rear centre?

Are the Activa spheres the same as the centre spheres hence me having 4 of them?

David.
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

Thanks to a post on Jim's site I've managed to find out for sure which sphere is which, just need to work it out on the car now!
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Once it's depressurised, work the roll-control rods from side to side many times, to get rid of any remaining pressure.

Here's a picture of what happens if you don't..

Covered in the stuff. It comes out at a fair old rate. My sphere under the battery box came off with so much pressure it broke the washing up bowl placed beneath it to catch drips and chipped a brick
Ford Prefect
My Cars:

Post by Ford Prefect »

Ford Prefect wrote:connect a hose on the bleeder
Is it called a "bleeder"?
(I'm Swedish so perhaps I misspelled it...)

Skickat från min HTC Desire X via Tapatalk 2
Owns: C5 X7 2.0 BlueHDi Saloon
Previous owned: C4 Picasso, XM (rebuilt to a Pick-up), Xantia TCT Activa, C5 2.0 SX Breake, Xantia 2.0 16 Valve Breake, SAAB 900, Audi 80, SAAB 99
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

Ford Prefect wrote:
Most folks over here would refer to it as a bleed nipple I believe so not far off at all :)

Thanks for the points chaps.
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

DHallworth wrote:
Ford Prefect wrote:
Most folks over here would refer to it as a bleed nipple I believe so not far off at all :)

Thanks for the points chaps.
It can be a heck of a bleeder :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

Well the sphere change process is well under way now :)

All of the rears are done and the front Activa sphere is now removed but the front centre sphere is being a bugger. I reckon it must have some pressure behind it still as with the Plaedies tool on it I just can't get it to budge and don't want to bend the bracket that it's mounted to beside the radiator.

Is there an easy way to release the pressure being held behind the electrovalve? Last time I did it I just undid the bung on the end of the sphere and let the gas out but there must be a better way :)

David.
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Simple, If your not going to use the sphere again and it sounds like its past it anyway, bash a nice long pin into it :)

A railway spike is best as they are heavy and not likely to get pushed back against the pressure of the fluid.

Also could you not try running the engine with the suspension in low whilst on a 2 post ramp, then switch engine off, leave ignition in run position and set to high again and it should slowly allow all the pressure in the system to bleed out again, then release the pressure screw again and try some penetrating fluid on it as well :)

Sometimes tapping with a hammer at the end whilst the tool is being used to twist it can break rust lock that always seems to form on them from getting covered in water as it comes in the front and from under the vehicles :(
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

Job done. Bleed screw was open.

The bracket that it was sitting on was flexing slightly and was getting a bit to close to the radiator for comfort whilst pulling on the sphere removal tool.

I slid a piece of plywood down in front of the rad and then gave the tool an almighty pull and the sphere walked off. Don't think there was much pressure in there to be honest. The accumulator sphere I couldn't get the tool onto so a couple of whacks with a cold steel chisel and lump hammer and it walked off too.

That's all ten spheres changed now anyway :) Just need to get the LHM changed as I'm embarrassed to say that the fluid coming out of the rear cylinders was brown.

Will flush it just now and fill it fresh and do it again in a couple of months time.

David.
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel