Relay 1.9 - newbie help & advice

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Axegrinderturbo

Relay 1.9 - newbie help & advice

Post by Axegrinderturbo »

Hi guys,

I've recently bought a 2000 citroen relay 1.9 diesel however there's a couple of questions if like to ask. It's covered 130k and drives great, really straight bodywork and has been looked after. Will only be using it infrequently but I'm really happy so far!

The questions are:

Windscreen wipers - the washer jets aren't working. When I pull the stalk it sounds as though its working but no water comes out and the wipers do not move. The washer bottle has plenty of fluid. Any ideas what the proem could be??? (Also when I turn the wipers on manually they do not rest at the bottom of the screen and just stay part way up the screen depending when I turned them off)

Coolant - the coolant tank is looking a little dirty and so I would want to drain the system and put fresh coolant in. Any guides or advice on how to do this? Is it easy enough?

Brakes - the discs are a bit worn and there's a bit of shudder when braking (is advised on the mot). I saw these on eBay and thought its not a bad prices for discs and pads. Any thoughts? - http://bit.ly/13Rg38E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Really pleased so far and got it for a good price too!

Any help with the above would be appreciated.

Thanks

Stu
DeafOldFart

Re: Relay 1.9 - newbie help & advice

Post by DeafOldFart »

Brake pads and discs - replace! Also get tyres checked... for any bulges/cuts/balance issues. Worth getting the rear brakes working properly as well, they are out of sight and mind...
Washers, well, they have all sorts of snags. Some pumps run with no rotor, especially if they have been frozen. Clean out the reservoir, remove pump and pipes... if you can find a detergent squeezy bottle, put it over the washer jets and reverse flush with a bit of vinegar in water... descaler! Put the unplumbed pump in a cupful of water, operate switch... if you get wet, it works... make sure the reservoir isn't full of gunge, and any filters are clear. I use a witches brew of detergent, vinegar and a sniff of bleach to clean the screen, meths in winter as well...new blade refills twice yearly.. If the stalk will not give a wash wipe cycle, it can be stalk or timer relay problems. Given there are two problems with wipers... check the wiring connectors and clean
Wipers failing to park properly means the wiring round the motor needs checking... there's a switch that operates when the wiper motor gets to the correct position, built into the motor. Might need a new motor, might respond to cleaning!
Have a good check round the hoses before changing coolant! And rad...
Sometimes the 'dirt' in the tank is sealer, and cleaning and changing coolant can lead to sudden floods from odd bits of corroded pipe... or heater matrix... if the tank smells of diesel, start to worry! Indicates leaking gasket...
Use 50% premium antifreeze if you refill, and top up with neat antifreeze... sounds expensive, but cheaper than new engine... antifreeze prolongs life of water pump seals too.
Worth getting the manual, too..

Good luck! Jim
Just because you can't see it, don't mean it ain't there..... if it floats, flies or fornicates ,you are better off renting
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

DeafOldFart wrote: I use a witches brew of detergent, vinegar and a sniff of bleach to clean the screen,

Good luck! Jim
if you put this brew into the washer bottle/tank, i dont think its a good idea as firstly the vinigar is acidic which could activate the tin worm,
secondly i have always been told detergent rots/deteriorates rubber,

DeafOldFart wrote: new blade refills
i find all the blade refills i have seen to be very poor quality
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
DeafOldFart

Post by DeafOldFart »

Told you it was a witches brew!! I don't think vinegar dissolves bodywork diluted at 1 part in 200, but it will remove grease and leave paint exposed to air - wax the bodywork once in a while
The quantities used are pretty small, about a teaspoon of each to the litre. The methylated spirit can make you go blind, if you drink enough winter wash...
A sniff of bleach stops the algae...yes, too much detergent rots the rubber... again, it's very diluted.
Agree with you about refills.. there are nasty plastic things out there.
I buy trade packs.. and clean the screen when fitting new blades. Silly to run a brand new blade over last years dirt. Again, white vinegar, or value window cleaner. Use newspaper for best results - not colour pages though!

Feel free to buy bottles of ready mixed screenwash... do you know what is in there? 5 litres water, and expensive additives... maybe someone can tell us exactly what.
Just because you can't see it, don't mean it ain't there..... if it floats, flies or fornicates ,you are better off renting
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

DeafOldFart wrote: The methylated spirit can make you go blind, if you drink enough winter wash...
Oldfart
i thought you said you were deaf not blind :o #-o :twisted: :-D :wink:
DeafOldFart wrote: Use newspaper for best results - not colour pages though!

does page three do a better job :bouncy: :eye: :dom:
DeafOldFart wrote: Feel free to buy bottles of ready mixed screenwash... do you know what is in there? 5 litres water, and expensive additives... maybe someone can tell us exactly what.
same as buying ready to use antifreeze, you are just buying tap water with a bit of colour to it
Last edited by citronut on 30 Jul 2013, 20:01, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, malcolm.

DeafOldFart

Post by DeafOldFart »

Citronut - are you relevant??
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

DeafOldFart wrote:Citronut - are you relevant??

whoooops sorry edited now,
Regards, malcolm.