MOT tomorrow (wish me luck!)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: MOT tomorrow (wish me luck!)

Post by CitroJim »

Mandrake wrote: One thing I've always noticed about this car is the exhaust system gets REALLY hot, I'm not sure if its the exhaust header/downpipe before the cat, the cat itself or both, but even after a very short drive the moment you switch the engine off there's a loud "tick tick tick" of the exhaust cooling down that goes on for a few minutes...and it still does it. Could it be the sound of the cat getting really hot working really hard trying to clean up un-burnt HC ?
That's normal Simon. They do get very hot very quickly and stay hot for a very long time afterwards. I know from a nasty burn I got from swapping an oxygen sensor once...

As I understand it cats have to be very hot to work effectively anyway...

Mine tick like ten bob watches so no worries there at all...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I think the ticking is differential rates of cooling for the heatshield vs cat housing. The matrices themselves are banded in stainless wire, so if they make noise it's probably a sign of fragmentation.