MOT tomorrow (wish me luck!)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mandrake
My Cars:

MOT tomorrow (wish me luck!)

Post by Mandrake »

Well tomorrow is crunch time, my 2nd MOT for my V6 problem child. :twisted:

Last year it passed with only an advisory of a minor exhaust leak and an advisory for "front brake flexi hose cracking", but a lot has happened to this car since then as anyone following my threads knows. :lol:

I've done what I can and I think it has a good chance of passing, but here are my areas of slight concern:

* Front brake flexi's have not been replaced since the last MOT. To me they look just fine with no sign of cracking so I really don't know what the testers were on about. I would have done then by now if I wasn't putting out so many other fires on the car, so to speak...

* Slight knock from the front left suspension on potholes, droplinks and track rod joints have already been done, I suspected a lower balljoint last year and bought a pair of Lemforder lower balljoints which I still have, however it passed the MOT last time without even a mention of it, so either they didn't find it or the noise is something else. If they fail it on this I'll just ask them to fit one of the balljoints I already have, as I don't want to tackle that job. (Having done one before with far better facilities than I have now!)

* Front right steel brake pipe that feeds the front right flexi has an unusual looking exploded clump of rust where it passes above the cross member. Not visible from below, only visible from above looking down between the engine and wing. Scraping it back and painting it may have hidden it but I just haven't had a chance to deal with it amongst all the other issues. If they catch this one I'll probably get a cupro nickel pipe made by Pleadies and fit that.

* Oxygen sensor is a bit iffy despite being replaced in March. Seems to be working when tested today and a few days ago, but on occasions seems to stop responding. Still under warranty but I only confirmed it was intermittent a few days ago so no time to get a replacement or fit it before the test.

* Suspected intermittent ignition related misfire. Again. :roll: The car is intermittently down on power and I believe a misfire is part of that. If its misfiring during the emissions test tomorrow the HC's will be through the roof and the lamba will be thrown out too. The misfire usually only happens under load so may not be provoked by the no-load emissions test however.

* The catalytic converter suffered through a few months of intermittent under-load misfire over the last 9 months, so I'm not sure that it's still ok. There's no back pressure so it probably hasn't melted down but until the emissions test is done I won't know whether its efficiency is still ok as there is only a single oxygen sensor. The only things on my side is that the factory cat on the V6 seems to be as tough as old boots, and an under load ignition misfire on a waste spark system will sometimes ignite the un-burnt mixture in the exhaust header before it gets to the cat so that the cat doesn't take the brunt of the strain. (Not good for the exhaust pipe though!)

* Today I've just noticed a minor hydraulic leak which looks like its coming from a low pressure return hose on the left hand side of the engine bay. The hose is attached to a K junction which also has a pressure switch on it - so I'm assuming its the priority valve ? I didn't think the priority valve had a low pressure return hose on it though... :? Here it is from a couple of different angles:

Can anyone identify the source of the leak ? I also noticed that the main feed pipe where it goes from a steel pipe to a large flexible pipe was also wet at the junction, but which has leaked onto which I'm not sure. Also bizarely there was quite a bit of oil up on the under side of the cruise control vacuum pump and the surrounding conduit, and I can't see how that got there from either of the potential leak sources.

Would replacing that hose clip with a jubilee clip help if that's the source of the leak, or is the problem likely to be more sinister ? I've wiped the area clean so hopefully the leak is negligible and they won't pick up on it.

Other than these I'm not aware of any potential fail issues, all the lights and electrics are working, (except cruise control) washers and wipers, horn, brakes are working well, suspension is working well, tyres are good, (except for one slightly out of balance) there are no other hydraulic leaks that I can see apart from the one pictured above.

Fingers crossed. :)
Last edited by Mandrake on 21 Jul 2013, 18:22, edited 1 time in total.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: MOT tomorrow (wish me luck!)

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Simon, I would wish you good luck, but I do not believe that you (or Problem V6) will need it.

I was at the CCC National on Saturday, and there were some V6 Xantias there. Yours would have fitted right in. If nothing else, I think their owners would have been able to offer advice and comparisons.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Good luck with the MOT Simon.
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Bon courage
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Whitebait fritters.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Just got a phone call to say it passed. :-D

I don't know whether there are any advisories until I pick it up and look at the docket, but at 15 years old a pass is a pass! :mrgreen:
Simon

1978 CX 2400
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

No advisories at all this time. =D>

Last year there were advisories for minor exhaust leak and handbrake cable out of adjustment, both of which have been fixed since, however there was also an advisory for "minor cracking" of front brake flexi hoses, but no mention of it this year and I've not touched them... it goes to show how arbitrary some of these marginal calls are...

I'm a bit surprised and disappointed that I didn't get an emissions test print out this time, given the dramas with intermittent misfires, dodgy oxygen sensor, concern about the well being of the cat, etc...it would have been nice to see the exact figures and compare them to last years test...

Is an emissions printout something optional you have to ask for ? I got one without asking last year so just assumed that you normally get them. Can I look it up online or do I need to phone them to get a copy posted out ?
Simon

1978 CX 2400
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

He may have binned it , or it could be lying in office. Good news anyway.

Despite the irksome faults, still driving and still providing transport for you and the lovely lady. =D>
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent news Simon...

Did you get an emissions printout per chance?

I'd like to see it :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DHallworth
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by DHallworth »

Great news, Simon!

It's always a great feeling when they pass.

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

See, Simon, I said you (and Problem V6) wouldn't need good luck. Barring the intermittent issue, you have a good 'un there. Well done, the pair of you.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Nice one Simon, I can go on holiday now..... 8-)
Richard W
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

superloopy wrote:I can't believe no advisories .... they are now instructed regarding 'covers' .... my latest MOT mentioned 'Under-trays fitted obscuring some underside components' as an advisory.

And I bet I get the same again when my Activa goes in soon, we will see!
I can't understand how under trays that are part of the design of the car and original factory fit could possibly warrant an advisory ??? :? It's not like you went and added something that wasn't always there. There's a hundred other things that might potentially fail that can't be seen without dismantling the car either...what about the brake lines in the engine bay that are totally obscured by the engine ? "advisory - engine fitted obscuring inspection of brake piping" ? :roll: :lol:
Simon

1978 CX 2400
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

RichardW wrote:Nice one Simon, I can go on holiday now..... 8-)
Yep :lol:

Seriously though, I think I'm going to leave the oxygen sensor alone for now as it seems to be working ok, and passed the MOT... I'll double check the warranty period and only change it if it gives further trouble. It might even be that the contacts at the connector are not making a good connection, I'll check that again as well.
Simon

1978 CX 2400
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

CitroJim wrote:Excellent news Simon...

Did you get an emissions printout per chance?

I'd like to see it :wink:
As above Jim, no I didn't get an emissions printout.

However they (Citroen Glasgow) just phoned for a follow-up to see if I was happy with their service yesterday, I asked if I could get a copy of the emissions report so they're posting it out to me. :)

They also balanced my wheel free of charge - the one which had a new tyre a couple of months ago for a puncture and went through the tyre balancing saga (Citroen Coatbridge couldn't balance it at all and left my wheel nuts loose, National Tyres balanced it but didn't get it quite right) so I'm pretty happy with the service. :)
Simon

1978 CX 2400