Now Running Fine

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

terryinfrance
My Cars:

Now Running Fine

Post by terryinfrance »

This is an update to all who supplied{much appreciated}opinions on my original posting of Noisy engine,ZX 1.9 diesel.
After much initial speculation as to the cause of all the racket my engine was making ,I am pleased to report it is running fine now.
The final cause of the problem was a knackered small end bearing.
After researching the possibility of replacement here in France and the subsequent need to purchase minimum 4 complete conrods my faulty rod was despatched to L.A Whitmore engineering in Melton Constable,Norfolk,U>K who magnificently replaced the worn shell with new and reamered pin for the princely sum of 19 pounds.
The rod was re-fitted,valves ground by myself,tappet clearances adjusted by taking a few thou off valve stems{carefully rubbing on 600 grade wet and dry.Head replaced.Re-fit cambelt{with some hassle I must add in spite of using M8 bolts in alignment holes.
On start up everything fine except white smoke from exhaust.
Injection pump then re-timed one notche back and bingo,no smoke sounded more powerful.
Test drive after checking all hoses/connections and she drives just fine pulling nicely ,even though driving through Auto box.
I was orinally convinced the offending noise came from valve gear,then worn vacuum pump,then piston slap{getting closer}
Despite the French garage mechanics who condemned the engine I now feel satisfied it was worth the effort in fixing with a unit I know.
My congratulations to this forum and readers.
Whatever your prob you are sure to get it fixed in the end with a little perseverance.
Cheers All.
Terry
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Nice one! I bet you feel rightly pleased with yourself. You are quite right. It is only Meccano writ large, and if you take it to bits, you can fix almost anything.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Good work Terry, although amazing that you have to send an engine component back to Norfolk when you are in the home of the legendary XUD engine!!
I have to say that its really quite rare for an XUD diesel engine to run a little end bearing. Have you any idea of the cause? Whats the engine's mileage and did it ever get its oil changed?? [:D]
Anyway glad that its mended in the true spirit of the Forum.
PS. You don't know Rodney from Oak Farm by any chance??
terryinfrance
My Cars:

Post by terryinfrance »

Thanks for that,Tom and Jon.
In answer to your question re. the little end failure.
The motor had recieved some regular maintenance for much of its life with nice little stamps in the service book{always a pleasure!}
On examination of the offending part,the feed hole on the shell bearing was out of alignment with the hole on the rod.
I can only assume it may have been this way for a long time,since new possibly.Hence the failure of this shell bearing with all the others o.k.
In spite of the battering the piston must have had being rattled up and down the more whilst this condition existed it is amazing no bore damage resulted.
Guess it was caught in the nick of time.
Oak farm rings a bell although I cant quite place it,is it near Norwich?
There was a good Peugeot parts place on the Ipswich road that I can recall.
Terry