Aircon Blows Hot One Side, Cold The Other..!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hamster99

Aircon Blows Hot One Side, Cold The Other..!!

Post by hamster99 »

Hi All

I have been having a problem with the dual aircon. When I set it to be the same temperature, it works great on the driver side, nice and cool when asked for, but on the passenger side it blows hot air!

Have looked about and had suggestion it was the passenger side motors for the air control flaps.

Finally got round to investigating this one a bit more after being away for a number of weeks.

Removed glove box to get access to the flap motors. Pretty easy really. Took out the motor which controls the air flow into the passenger side and discovered that the plastic bit which connects the motor to the flap looks lik eit has sheared off and dropped into the unit so the flap is no longer controlled. Just my luck it stuck on hot in this weather!

Now I have a real problem.

Am i right in thinking you can't get at any of the internal flappy bits without removing the whole unit, which i believe means removing the sterring and then the dashboard etc?

Is this easy to do? I reckon I could do it in 2 days over a weekend or am i being optimistic? I have a donor car with aircon so I'm thinking i could take the unit from that, or should i just change the broken bit?

Finally, seems such a faff for one broken bit - any thoughts about whether i could cut a section out of the plastic side off the unit to get at the internals and change the flap. Not sure if the bits would be accessible though. Might save taking the whole dash out and I have a spare unit i could get the bits out of.

Thanks

Rob
15 C4 1.6 eHDI 115 Exclusive - better half's
12 RR Westminster 4.4 TDV8 - Gentleman's Club on wheels
05 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Exclusive - gone but not forgotten
05 C5 2.0 HDI 138 VTR - crushed May 2015
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Aircon Blows Hot One Side, Cold The Other..!!

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Rob

Are you sure that its not just the shaft of the motor that has sheared off, this is a fairly common problem, there is a replacement motor with a longer shaft available.

Peter
hamster99

Post by hamster99 »

Hi Peter

Afraid not, i took the motor off and it is fine. Where the motor was there is a hole about 12mm dia. which must have had the yellow plastic insert that connects the motor to the internal flaps. Looking in the hole I can see that this seems to have sheared off inside and disappeared!

Rob
15 C4 1.6 eHDI 115 Exclusive - better half's
12 RR Westminster 4.4 TDV8 - Gentleman's Club on wheels
05 C5 2.0 HDI 138 Exclusive - gone but not forgotten
05 C5 2.0 HDI 138 VTR - crushed May 2015
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Oh dear :(