2003 picasso hdi exclusive cooling fan

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mipmops3
My Cars: 2013 c3 picasso exclusive 1.6 hdi

2003 picasso hdi exclusive cooling fan

Post by mipmops3 »

hi i have had the picasso a few months now,just got back from a weekend away towing caravan,on the way there the car overheated spliting top plastic on radiator,AA man to the rescue new rad fitted, on the way home it started to overheat again thats when i found out the cooling fan isnt working, is it possible to fit a fan switch into the rad ( there is a place for 1 ) and wire it to the fan so that when the temp goes up the fan kicks in and does away with the fan being run by the ecu which isnt working, do i need to put a reley in the curcuit and a fuse any advice gratefully received #-o
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Re: 2003 picasso hdi exclusive cooling fan

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Anything is possible, I have successfully used a Honeywell adjustable pipe thermostat before now, zip tied to the bottom hose and fed via a relay.
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
mipmops3
My Cars: 2013 c3 picasso exclusive 1.6 hdi

Post by mipmops3 »

thanks for reply stewart, the main reason for me to go this route is that my cars fitted with aircon, but that was disconected before i bought it so has never worked and i dont know if it has something to do with aircon not workig to why the fan doesnt work
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Assuming fan(s) are not seized the relays for them are the likely culprits or their wiring. Most rads do have that blank fitted. You could string a relay / suitable fan switch (get a two pin one to avoid complications) and some wiring (fused please!) to make it work.

The fans are not effected by the disconnection of the AC though, even if the compressor is awol. The bitron sensor and control module (or BSi) usually control them.

Try unplugging the bitron sensor (usually brown) from the thermostat housing, the fans should start within a few seconds as it will sense that as "overheating" , watch your fingers etc.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG