Xantia 2001 High Suspension (Intermediate) Operation Questio

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Tallman25
New User
My Cars:

Xantia 2001 High Suspension (Intermediate) Operation Questio

Post by Tallman25 »

Hi
I've just got new to me Xantia 2001.
I've change all the 6 spheres, from AEP, about £20 each, and the car is like a dream to drive in the NORMAL SUSPENSION setting. It has just passed it's test too.
It rises to service high and drops to service low perfect.

My question relates to the intermediate height setting. This is a very bouncy ride. With the setting in this position, and pushing down on the corners of the car it is very hard, just like service high.

There is one country lane with high earth on the centre, and it would be handy to use this feature on this lane, 300 metres, but it doesn't feel smooth at all.

What kind of ride should I expect over this type of rough ground at low speed, and anything I should look out for, besides rocks in the long grass!

Thanks
Trevor
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: Xantia 2001 High Suspension (Intermediate) Operation Que

Post by Mandrake »

You should not be driving at speed in the intermediate height position, its designed for no more than about 10mph for things like fording flooded roads or clearing deep ruts in an off road situation.

The intermediate position will lift the height to nearly full height but unlike the maximum height position it will not be fully pressurised - the maximum height position will make the suspension rigid but the intermediate position will still have some give in the compression direction, but not much.

Also the intermediate position rarely works as designed on Xantia's due to the linkage design and how easily it's affected by rust, so on many Xantias the intermediate position is almost rigid like the maximum position.

In short, don't use it at speed.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
MalcolmBrown

Post by MalcolmBrown »

It is possible that the linkage from the lever between the seats is slightly out of adjustment. The lever connects to a bar running underneath the car which pushes against another slightly springy lever on each height corrector. As the lever is moved back in the car (to the higher settings) this pushes forward on the front height corrector and pulls forward on the rear. There is an adjustor at each end of the bar which you can undo a locking nut to move- it may be that at the intermediate setting on the car the lever pushes the height corrector to the fully up position. SO you may need to move the front adjustor towards the rear of the car slightly to shorten the effective length of the bar and the rear one towards the rear effectively lengthening the bar.
As with all work on the suspension the car MUST BE COMPLETELY SUPPORTED else sudden dropping of the suspension can kill you. This means in practice that access to a pit or four poster lift is rather helpful- arguably essential.
It may be that there is corrosion or lack of lubrication at the linkages so lubrication and some "Citroebics" will restore a softer intermediate setting- though there is never enough movement to drive at anything other than low speed.
Tallman25
New User
My Cars:

Post by Tallman25 »

Thanks for the tips. It will be a couple of weeks before I can get this over a pit, no 4 pillar lift handy. I take you point about living to tell the tale while making the adjustment. I never saw much corrision around the height selectors and the rear suspension arm looks well greased.

My dear darling deirdre plans to use this high drive setting up a gravel road, with lumps and pot holes and 5 mph would be the max possible anyway.
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

I drive on a lot of dirt roads. Dry river beds actually. The xantia in normal suspension handles it better than any other car I've been in, even better than my dad's 4x4 van. Also the xantia sits a little higher than say a focus so avoids the rocks! If you do get a bit of speed up the excellent suspension set up kicks the back end round! Yum.
Fred, a silver 1998 1.9TD SX Xantia.
Gwin, a white 1994 1.1 AX.