Glow plugs ZX 1.9D

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

teabag
My Cars:

Glow plugs ZX 1.9D

Post by teabag »

Probably covered elsewhere but. With the winters approaching, I've noticed that the car is coming up on 2/3 cylinders after a cold snap, so it was time, I reasoned, to change glow plugs (never done this before). The 2 nearest the cambelt are easy and I've done them. The number 4 is tricky but doable. However, number 3 is right under the injector pipes where they are held together with a plastic clip.
It seems that I'm going to need to remove these pipes. I've never dealt with the high pressure side of the fuel. Is this a reasonably straightforward job?
Needless to say, replacing the 2 easy plugs has made little difference and the dodge plugs appear to be in 3 and 4.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

You should not find noticeable fuel pressure in these injector pipes with engine at rest - just have papers/rags ready for some minor spillage. As these are pressure lines - any air left on reassembly are instantly pressed out the injectors.
The pipe uinons are special to give a good leakage proof tight fit w/o unduly torquieng the unions. Judge by the force needed to unwind these.
timmsd

Post by timmsd »

You can check the glow plug in situ with a continuity tester. If there is resistance then you may be able to leave it put.
Failing that inscrew the injector pipes but DON'T BEND THEM to get access as you'll never get them back on!
The plug is a 12mm, I use a small long reach socket and a flexy coupling to get it off, or a ring spanner and a lot of small turns.
Remember it's well worth it if you have a plug out as starting is much improved.