The Sound of Silence.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

handyman
My Cars:

The Sound of Silence.

Post by handyman »

So Muggins here disconnected the battery on the Xantia V6 by accident and had to re-enter the radio code, of which he has the correct one. All is well with the first two digits, but the next two buttons on the radio wont respond to being pressed, hence silence and SWMBO is getting a bit peeved listening to my maniacal laughter as I swoop arond the lanes of East Sussex like Mr Toad. :twisted:

Now I know I'm not doing it wrong, in entering the codes, so is the radio duff? Anybody managed to effect a repair with a similar problem? Alternatively, anybody got the same model radio, working, with a correct code, so I can effect a swap?

I am concerned about entering the wrong codes, in case the radio is blocked permanently.

Handyman
Xantidote
My Cars:

Re: The Sound of Silence.

Post by Xantidote »

Not being acquainted with the V6, I don't know the radio options fitted. Give us a clue? :)

I'd have thought you'd get a few (three?) attempts before it starts to sulk, when it then won't play until it's had time off - this will probably vary dependent on actual model
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

I havn't a clue as to what make of radio is fitted, save that the sound system also has the remote CD changer in the boot. The V6 is a 2000, Srs2 model. Clarion? Philips?

According to the instructions, you get seven stabs at entering the code, before its temporarily blocked for upto thirty minutes. So far I'm upto three, as I tried other button pushing to see if this would resolve the problem. After fourteen wrong attempts, the radio is permanently blocked, as this presumably locks out the Eprom in the coding sequence.

I am assuming that as I am failing to enter a complete code before it times out, I am not using up the radio's 'nine' lives prior to its complete demise.

H
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

How are you entering the code? IIRC on some radios, buttons 1-4 are used to enter the code, and you press each button the relevant number of times to input the code, and then press the band button to validate the code. I've got the MK2 handbook inc the radio book in the car, I'll check later....
Richard W
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

A picture of the front of the radio would be helpful as there are a number of variations of radios fitted to the Xantia.... I have a 1998 V6 with cassette and boot mounted CD changer so if it looks the same as my radio I can confirm how the code is entered...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hi Richard, its not the code thats wrong or operator error in entering the code, its the lack of response when the buttons are pressed. This particular radio is the model with a set of six channel buttons, as fitted to Exclusive models.

On entering the code, the first two numbers are accepted and show on the screen, the third & fourth numbers are, unfortunately, the same and its that button that wont respond, no matter how its shoved. Obviously, a contact within the gubbins of the radio is not making contact, yet prior to the disconnection, all buttons were working correctly as station sequence changers. Is there a way of bypassing this hideous security feature, as I'm sure that toe-rags are unlikely to nick a radio from an old 'banger'?

SWMBO is getting more peeved. :oops:

H
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Fair enough :lol: Sounds like the radio is beggared then. Will it let you input the number into one of the first 2 spaces? No doubt if you want to strip the radio down you can remove the EPROM and reflash it or something. Or just replace it with a decent aftermarket head unit that will play MP3 discs, and then you free up some boot space, and get more than 6 CDs at a time, and can change them on the run 8-)
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if the buttons in question were functioning before disconnecting the battery, i cant see its actually the buttons at fault,
maybe try disconnecting the battery leave it of for a few min'z then re/connect it,

it might just be you arnt tuned into mw 945 :twisted: :roll: :-D #-o :wink:
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

I have some radio oddities Malc.... Aftermarket Kenwood unit, with controller for the steering wheel controls. Worked OK when fitted, then after a while the steering wheel buttons stopped working one day. Some time later, new alternator required, so battery was off for a week or so. When reconnected remote button function restored 8-) . Stayed that way for about 2 years, through various battery disconnects (and even a change to an alternative one), then a few weeks ago, stopped working again when I had the battery off working on the tow bar sockets :lol: Tried leaving it off for 24 hours, but that hasn't brought them back, going to leave it off for a week when we go on holiday in a couple of weeks, see if that fixes it =D>

All of which is no use or relevance to Handyman..... :mrgreen:
Richard W
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

That's one of the niceties of this forum, posts that go off at tangents, not that I'm complaining.

I might try Citronut's solution by disconnecting the battery again to see what that do.

I'm hoping somebody will come along with a solution to removing the code completely, as I feel its conmpletely irrelevant. Might have a word wiv my bruv, the electonics engineer. #-o

I'd like to keep the radio, as it is original to the car and the sound output is more than adequate. I've got one of them there dummy cassettes that allows the MP3 to connect to the head unit.

H
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

If it does become locked out, it may not be the end of the world.
I have successfully unlocked a Clarion before-don't remember the details, but it was a matter of shorting a pair of pins to clear the memory.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

handyman wrote:That's one of the niceties of this forum, posts that go off at tangents, not that I'm complaining.

I might try Citronut's solution by disconnecting the battery again to see what that do.

I'm hoping somebody will come along with a solution to removing the code completely, as I feel its conmpletely irrelevant. Might have a word wiv my bruv, the electonics engineer. #-o

I'd like to keep the radio, as it is original to the car and the sound output is more than adequate. I've got one of them there dummy cassettes that allows the MP3 to connect to the head unit.

H
i think the dealer used to offer a de/coding service for a fee of course,

there used to also be talk of sticking the radio in the freezer over night,
thats ok as long as you dont sleep walk in the middle of the night and get the munchies,take a chunk out of the wrong chips :roll: :-D :wink:
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Dnsey, dont suppose you can remember what you did to wipe the radio code memory? I am assuming that it involves delving in to the giblets of the unit. Cannot see that Clarion would have put the set of pins conveniently on the outside of the unit.

Am I right to assume that with the memory wiped, the radio still functioned, albeit, without all that coded hassle?

Citronut, no chance of the radio being mistaken for food, too much chocolate & lamb in the fridge. We've just started making our own Turkish Delight, honeycomb, rockyroad, brazil nuts, fruit & nut bars, hazel nut & almond bars, etc. all coated using our own chocolate.

Handyman
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Sorry, I don't remember the details now - it was a number of years ago. It did involve access to the internlals, and was akin to clearing a computer BIOS. I took the view that there was no harm in trying (with the battery disconnected), and found what looked like a memory backup capacitor, and effectively discharged it, which gave me another set of chances to enter the code.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Are you sure you are following the correct procedure for the Clarion? I know it is different from the Blaupunkt and Phillips procedures.