Xsara II - strange power window problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pcspinheiro
My Cars:

Xsara II - strange power window problem

Post by pcspinheiro »

Dear all,

me again, with yet another problem... This time it's the power windows. The one on the passenger side has been having an odd behavior; sometimes it will not use the automatic open full/close full function and, when closing it, it will go in about 5 cm steps at a time, so one has to keep pressing the button repeatedly. However, the major problem occurred with the one on the driver's side... when closing it the other day (by continuously pressing the button, since the automatic function is also a bit on and off) something cracked loud inside the door when it reached the closed position. I pulled the window down but it would then not go up again. After dismantling the whole thing it turns out that one of the plastic pieces where the glass sits, and that has cables attached to pull it up and down, was broken and the cables were all mangled up in the reel connected to the motor. I ordered a repair kit with new cables and plastic connectors and it can now go up and down again, although going up happens in those dammed 5 cm hiccups. To make things much worse I realized that the window will not stop if I don't let go of the button, both going up and down (which is likely what caused the plastic piece to break in the first place).

OK, after all the writing the question is, what controls the stopping of the motor when the end travel is reached? There are no physical buttons so I'm guessing the extra current draw from the motor or some torque-activated switch inside the motor/controller box? (how to check/fix?) And why would the windows go up in small steps at a time but down smoothly?

If anyone knows the cause of this issue or has ideas I very much appreciate the input!

Thanks in advance,
Paulo.
pcspinheiro
My Cars:

Re: Xsara II - strange power window problem

Post by pcspinheiro »

Just bumping this up, I really need some insight here... Is there any central control mechanism other than the one on the motor itself? I would guess so since both windows are acting up...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

it might depend on the year of your car, as the later one will probably be multiplex,
in which case every electrical/tronic item will have its own controller, then these cotrolers relay back to the main BSI/ECU,

if so that type of system can throw all kinds of gremlins up
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
pcspinheiro
My Cars:

Post by pcspinheiro »

Thanks citronut! The car is from late 2001 and what puzzled me is that the window going up in hiccups is an intermittent problem and it now skipped to the other side that broke by not stopping when reaching the top (or bottom).

I have no clue as to how to go about fixing it, except taking it to a Citroen dealer, and here in Denmark trust me, they will charge me big money just to even look at the car, let alone repair it...