picasso 2.0hdi 53 plate(2004) engine fault.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

idkdelta45

picasso 2.0hdi 53 plate(2004) engine fault.

Post by idkdelta45 »

Anyone,Anywhere,advice needed please! This vehicle is a taxi,does lots of miles but is also regularly serviced,last oil and filters changed only last week. Today I pulled into a fuel station,3 hours into my shift,car running 100% fine. Put £10.00 worth of diesel in,this was to keep me over quarter tank as I use the same garage to fill tank with all the time. The garage I used is a well used garage and I know at least 6 drivers that used this garage today,no problems for them.
Anyway,pulling out of garage,engine light comes on,engine fault flashes up and all power has gone at the pedal. Car still running but revs have gone higher. Press pedal and nothing,1st gear car crawls along,2nd gear same but if you change gears quickly car speefs up. Just drove 4 miles without accelerator pedal being touched!!! Car starts up fine after turning off engine but revs are higher than normal other than that and the engine light it looks ok to drive until you put your foot on pedal and there nothing there at all. Please anyone,any ideas? Thanks. Still got fuel receipt,I did put diesel in and not petrol.
Ippypicasso

Re: picasso 2.0hdi 53 plate(2004) engine fault.

Post by Ippypicasso »

Does the car idle OK ?
idkdelta45

Post by idkdelta45 »

It starts fine but when idling the revs are faster than normal tick over. Press accelerator pedal and nothing changes at all.
idkdelta45

Post by idkdelta45 »

Just been out to lock car up and I decided to start it up,no idea why but I did and guess what? Although the engine fault comes up and the lights constantly on on the display the car runs. Just been up and down road in it,about a mile and its running fine. Totallyconfused.com
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I do apologise that your thread was derailed in an unhelpful manner, although I assure you it was meant in jest, but members should remember, when someone's livelihood is at stake it is not a laughing matter.

Any further derogatory or unhelpful comments will be deleted.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
idkdelta45

Post by idkdelta45 »

To anyone that happens to read and think they have the same/similar problem can I just give a little advice. Ive spent £300+ to try and resolve this problem and I can now say,with confidence,it is solved! Cost around £5.00 to fix. Please get your brake light switch checked out before spending any money,even get it changed for what it costs. All my fault codes have gone,engine running back to normal. Solved because someone happened to notice my brake lights on constantly,hard to see when your the driver. Thanks to anyone that offered any advice it is always appreciated.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Well done for getting the problem resolved. From what I can make out, with the brake lights on, the ECU "thought" you were riding the brakes, and dropped you into "limp" mode to prevent you from burning things out. The ECU "attitude" is better safe than sorry.

Every month or so I (try to remember to) do a walk around Gracie to check her lights. Recently I found a blown number plate light, and both reverse lights weren't working (due to a failed reverse switch). For the brakes I put a weight onto the pedal. However, I check the lights individually, so I would have picked up on a shorted brake light switch.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Well done - at least you've got a happy ending
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Was the switch built into the pedal rubber ?
Congrats on sorting it btw :)
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.