ignition or fuel fault

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

SHILTON

ignition or fuel fault

Post by SHILTON »

re:1600 bx auto with auto choked carb if i sit for to long with the car in drive the engine stalls and is hard to re-start in neutral or park it will idle all day. Although letting it stand for two three mins allows it to go. Recently it refused to start at all after stalling, although it fired for 2-3 seconds before dying completly. The AA was called and the ignition amplifier diagnosed as the fault, fitting a new one started the engine and it has been running fine for two-three days.
But as the engine was being cranked over after the repair and although it was on the verge of firing it only started when the choke flap was opened. this makes me
think it may have been fuel and or electrics any ideas please
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

You have a problem with the autochoke. The autochoke uses a thermostat to control the choker strangler flap, and if this strangler flap is not positioned correctly according to engine temperature - you'll get starting problems either hot or cold.
The thermostat can be replaced separately - a bit fiddly as allways working on carburettors. The Haynes BX has a very good description on how to adjust both Weber & Solex species with autochoke. Tried it myself with success.
If you can not DIY - then expect a rather high garage cost - as it's a fiddly & time consuming job - if you can find a garage still having knowledge on carburettors. You do not need to use a Citroen garage - any independent with knowledge on carburettors will do the job as well.
BTW : Check your coolant level - and that all small coolant hoses to/fro the carb are hot - ensuring the carb is signalled about engine temp. You should have some 2 - 4 coolant bleed screws in the coolant hosing/piping over the engine - try bleed these when engine is warm (not hot !).