Xantia 2.0 Excl Auto failure to start

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia 2.0 Excl Auto failure to start

Post by CitroJim »

Nick, there's another one. You have to get a small socket on a long thin extension down among the wires..

No need to remove the whole she-bang though to check the fusebox, the fusebox itself clips out and after removing the two heavy wires the while thing can be easy pulled out and the connectors on the underside disconnected..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
stingraynick
My Cars:

Post by stingraynick »

Hi Jim, thanks for the info on the fuse box.

I've now got hold of some history for the car and find that my car had exactly this problem in 2008.

The garage it was taken to stripped out the bumper and inner wings, found "wire damage due to corrosion", and then rectified by splicing in repair sections.

I am therefore assuming this issue has reappeared. However, I don't really get electrics very easily and I don't know which wires serve which systems etc.

So, as an electrical simpleton I should resolve the problem by simply taking one wire at a time and replacing a section. I haven't yet removed all the loom cover/protection so it might be obvious where the corrosion is.

So, unless any better ideas I think I have part of my Sunday mapped out for me....

Regards, Nick
Currently.....
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive
DSuper5
Previously.....
XM V6, ZX, Xantia VSX, Xantia V6, Xantia LX, Xantia V6, Xantia SX, 2CV, 2CV, 2CV and my first Citroen a GS....I've ignored a few non-Citroen.... although there was once a Peugeot 306 XT as well
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Nick, I think it's time to have the bumper off and revisit their repairs. It's a good bet you'll find the problem there..

Do you have any friends who are a little sparky-savvy who might be able to help?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
stingraynick
My Cars:

Post by stingraynick »

Jim, yup, bumper off last weekend and we suspected someone had been there and then we got hold of the bit of history that seems to confirm its in there somewhere.

Looking at the front of the car part of the loom is exposed on the right behind the corner or section where the bumper wraps round the side of the car. A white wire clearly wasn't either where it should be or is unoriginal. Peeling off the tape holding the loom cover and then some electrical tape we also found masking tape holding wires together!

So, the plan is to remove the plastic loom cover from that area al through the section under/behind the radiator and then chop and splice until hopefully the faulty section eliminated.

My helper, well, I'm more his assistant than he is mine, is skilled mechanically but is not as much with electrics.

Anyway, well give it a go and see what we find.

Regards, Nick
Currently.....
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive
DSuper5
Previously.....
XM V6, ZX, Xantia VSX, Xantia V6, Xantia LX, Xantia V6, Xantia SX, 2CV, 2CV, 2CV and my first Citroen a GS....I've ignored a few non-Citroen.... although there was once a Peugeot 306 XT as well
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Does it start on ether spray? First check that. If so, then you have a fuel pump control issue - the pumps themselves seldom stop dead.

Should the car not even cough on ether spray, check the cambelt. If it's undamaged and taut, then I strongly urge to replace the positive terminal.

A Lexia will now show the ECU status (locked/matched). There is no substitute for a good diagnostic rig at this point.

The CPH corresponds with the engine ECU using only three wires - 820/1/2 so it's not hard to run continuity tests on these from the CPH plug to the engine ECU plug.