Xantia tank filter

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Xantia tank filter

Post by Old-Guy »

Sorry chaps, memory isn't what it was. The VSX is suffering from fuel starvation and air ingress (before the filter), so I need to start by checking the tank filter.
When I first had the green estate, I checked the filter in the fuel tank. I remember doing the job, taking some pictures and making some rough e-notes; but, I never got around to doing a proper guide (as nobody seemed to need one) and now I can't find pictures or notes. Trouble is, memory is playing tricks: I'm sure the 1.9 (95MY) had a soft rubber access hatch that I just pulled off carefully with my fingers. The VSX has a hard plastic disc with a soft sealing lip (not unlike the LHM reservoir) and I can't work out how to remove it to get at the tank unit. I don't want to be brutal and break whatever holds it in place. It doesn't seem to want to turn and there's b-all to get a grip on. Can someone enlighten me please?

The next step is then to fix a bodge on the fuel piping that, by the look of it, is fairly recent and the most obvious source of air ingress. The original priming bulb and the next section of hose from it have been replaced by non-standard items. The bulb works fine and sucks up fuel without air (had to use it this morning to ge her started). The bit of hose is heavy duty (thick wall) 3/8" (9.5mm) fuel hose that's been made to seal by vigorous application of a jubillee clip at each end (and I suspect some tape to pack out the difference in sizes). Does anyone know off-hand what bore the correct pipe should be please? Until I can replace it with the right size pipe, I really don't want to disturb it for fear of making matters worse!
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
electronmirror
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5 2.0 (163) diesel Exclusive Tourer 2010
Xantia Exclusive HDI Estate

Re: Xantia tank filter

Post by electronmirror »

Use a small bladed screwdriver and initially work it under the edge and then around the circumference of the disc. It will pop out without causing any damage. Replacing it is the reverse and does need a bit of 'controlled force' to seat the disc back in place.

Sorry can't help with fuel pipe bore size.
Ted
2010 C5 2.0 diesel(163) Exclusive Tourer (119,290miles)
1999 Xantia Exclusive Estate 110 Hdi Mauritius Blue with self peeling lacquer finish (276,174miles)

1991 XM Prestige 2.0 Auto(157,000 miles) gone but not forgotten
Old-Guy

Post by Old-Guy »

On the fuel pipe subject, got creative last evening and trimmed one end of the pipe so I could get vernier callipers on the priming bulb stub: 8.26mm. Bought a meter of 8mm universal pipe today and fitted it this evening. When I started to remove each end of the oversize pipe, evidence of fuel weeping slightly (from regular priming) - pipe definitely way oversize. Pumped all the air through the fuel system, started the engine to park the car - I'll check tomorrow evening if there's the usual air bubbles in the clear fuel line before the engine filter.

I will still check the tank filter anyway, but hopefully I've fixed the air ingress problem; if not, it's leak-off pipes next! No so easy on the 2.1 as on the old 1.9.
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
Old-Guy

Post by Old-Guy »

So far so good - no sign of air in the fuel lines this evening. Acid test, now parked facing up-slope, will check in the morning.

[Update]There was a little bit of air in the priming bulb just now. Probably not enough to be a problem. The fuel starvation problem is only really noticeable when full power/torque is needed for a minute or two - like lugging a trailer load of rubble up a 1 in 8! Next thing is to check the tank filter - I fully expect it to be full of rubbish as the car had been fed on really cheap diesel (smells horrible).