Location of radiator fan switch

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mitch13

Location of radiator fan switch

Post by mitch13 »

Hi, could somebody please tell me where the radiator fan switch is located on Citroen dispatch hdi xreg (2000) :|

Many thanks Martin
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: Location of radiator fan switch

Post by spider »

I think its controlled by the ECU on all HDi's (regardless of AC or no AC) so it will come off the engine coolant sensor for the ECU, probably a brown connector around the thermostat housing.

Otherwise it will be simply screwed into the rear of the radiator (same side as the hoses) and easily seen.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
mitch13

Post by mitch13 »

Hi Spider, Thanks for the reply, I will check out those locations now.

Thanks again, Martin
mitch13

Post by mitch13 »

Hi, I can't find a brown switch and/or see any switch at the radiator. I have followed the bottom hose from the radiator and the only switch I can find is a green one. ( I have uploaded a picture to flickr " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) can you please let me know if this is the fan switch.

many thanks Martin.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

That's it, but it's not exactly a fan switch - it's just the temperature sender that is used by the ECU to control the engine, dash temperature gauge (if fitted) and fans. What fault have you actually got? The sensor is know for being a little bit fragile - but the HDi doesn't put the fans on till it gets to 100C
Richard W
mitch13

Post by mitch13 »

Hi Richard, thanks for the reply, In brief the radiator cooling fan has stopped working resulting in the van overheating :? , so far I have tried: Testing the relays, checking the two fuses and I have run power straight to the fan; which seems to be working fine. I have also bridged/shorted the fan switch in the picture that is situated near the thermostat and the fan does not work when this is done; which suggests a fuse or relay but I have checked them :x Any help would be greatly appreciated.
mitch13

Post by mitch13 »

Hi Richard, Do you think the problem is the ECU, and can I just swap it for a reclaimed ECU; I'm unsure what to do at this point. Could you please tell me where the ECU is located.

Cheers Martin
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Martin

Sadly no detailed knowledge of the Dispatch wiring I'm afraid. Is there a Haynes that might have wiring diagrams? You'll need to track back from the fan to find where the power supply comes from. Swapping the ECU is likely to be fraught with difficulties with immobilisers etc. Does it have a temp gauage on the dash - what did it go up to? It's usually quite hard to overheat an HDi - even sitting in a traffic jam for 30 mins on a 30°C day only brings on low speed fans on my Xantia.
Richard W
mitch13

Post by mitch13 »

Hi Richard, the temperature gauge went up to 110 degrees the warning light was flashing, it was during its MOT they had it running for nearly an hour. I have disconnected the sensor and the temperature gauge goes up instantly to over 110 degrees with the light flashing, and the fan still does not work; I'm not sure if this should activate the fan or not though.

Cheers......Martin.
mitch13

Post by mitch13 »

hello Richard,
just took the van out on a short drive and got the temp gauge up to 100 degrees with light flashing and still no fan running.
Thanks...Martin
mitch13

Post by mitch13 »

looks like a trip to the auto electricians :shock: thanks for all your help, I will post back when the fault is diagnosed.

Cheers......Martin
spider

Post by spider »

Pretty sure the fan should come on if the sensor is unplugged as it will sense that as an "overheat" condition.

It may be fan relays or a BSI concern itself.
Andy.

mitch13

Post by mitch13 »

Hi, I've taken the van to the auto electrician today, you are right about the fan coming on when the switch is disconnected, he told me the same thing i.e. fan should come on when sensor is disconnected. It cost me £35 to have the diagnostic machine plugged-in; which told us that their is a short between the ECU and the relay. The electrician said: it could still be the ECU giving out a false signal, but he thinks it will be a bad connection between the ECU and the relay. He is going to run a few tests tomorrow to try and find the faulty connection/broken wire @ £40 a hour.... 8-[

Cheers.......Martin
mitch13

Post by mitch13 »

Hi, just spoke to the auto electrician, and he said there is no earth at the relay, he chased the wires and they run through in to the bulkhead and the colours change from red to green; making it difficult for him to chase the fault without it taking a long time @ £40 an hour as he has no Citroen dispatch wiring diagram :roll: . He said he has found some corroded wires near the alternator that will be causing a fault, but whether or not it will effect the fan relay he is unsure!!! :?

Cheers....Martin
spider

Post by spider »

Diagrams will be available from Servicebox (I don't have Citroen ones) although I think they charge for them. Then again it may be useful for him if he's regularly seeing French vehicles for electrical works.
Andy.